ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Procedural Letter addressed to Lyndon Friesen (Golden West Broadcasting Ltd.)
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Ottawa, 1 October 2014
By E-mail: email@example.com
Golden West Broadcasting Ltd.
P.O. Box 950
Altona, MB R0G 0B0
Dear Ms Friesen,
Re: application 2014-0889-9 – CHOO-FM Drumheller, Alberta
This is in reference to your application for an amendment to a broadcasting license for the radio programming undertaking CHOO-FM Drumheller, Alberta.
- When questioned by Commissioner Molnar at the 2008 Edmonton public hearing (Volume 1, transcript, paragraph 1147), the applicant stated its willingness to broadcast 10% folk and folk-oriented music (subcategory 32) as part of its adult contemporary format, as a condition of licence (Volume 1, transcript, paragraph 1159).
Seeing that part of this music component as well as the audience targeted by CHOO-FM were offered so as to repatriate out-of-market tuning, please elaborate on how the removal of the condition of licence would still contribute to the musical diversity in the Drumheller radio market.
- We note that on 17 July 2014 Commission staff sent you a letter detailing the results of its monitoring analysis relating to the programming broadcast by CHOO-FM for the week of 6-12 October 2013. As stated in this letter, it appeared that CHOO-FM was in non-compliance with subsections 8(4) and 8(5) of the Radio Regulations, 1986 (the Regulations) relating to the submission of logs and records. It also appeared that it was in non-compliance with its condition of licence relating to the broadcast of subcategory 32 (Folk and folk-oriented) music. In your reply dated 31 July 2014, you specified the measures that would be put in place on 1st and 2nd August 2014 to ensure CHOO-FM's future compliance with its regulatory obligations and conditions of licence.
In light of the above:
- Please confirm that the said measures have been put in place.
- Please indicate how you regularly review these measures to ensure that they are sufficient to ensure your station's compliance and, how often this review is being performed.
- Please provide your plans so as to ensure full compliance with your conditions of licence and the Radio Regulations, 1986 during the new licence term.
- Please comment on the possibility of a short-term renewal for CHOO-FM, in accordance with Broadcasting Information Bulletin CRTC 2011-347, should you be found in non-compliance with subsections 8(4) and 8(5) of the Regulations and its conditions of licence relating to the broadcast of subcategory 32 (Folk and folk-oriented) music. Please note that the sanction could be stronger than a short-term renewal for major instances of non-compliance, such as: imposition of conditions of licence, mandatory orders, non-renewal, suspension, or revocation of the licence.
Considering the above request, the timetable for the proceeding is changed as follows:
|Subject||Posted Date||Deadlines |
|Part 1||Golden West Broadcasting Ltd. |
Amendment of a condition of licence
Open application for applicant contact information.
|12 September 2014||14 October 2014 |
21 October, 2014
The information requested herein should be received by the Commission no later than 8 October 2014, failing which, your application may be returned to be completed and resubmitted with the Commission should you wish to pursue this proposal.
The Commission requires that you submit your documents electronically using the secured service My CRTC Account” (Partner Log In or GCKey) and fill in the “Broadcasting and Telecom Cover page” or the “Broadcasting Online Form and Cover Page” located on this web page. Also on this web page you will find information on the submission of applications to the Commission Submitting applications and other documents to the CRTC using My CRTC Account).
A copy of this letter and all related correspondence will be added to the public record of the proceeding.
Should you need further information concerning this application, please do not hesitate to contact me by telephone at 819-997-4672, by fax at 819-994-0218 or by E-mail at .
Senior Radio Analyst
- Date modified: