ARCHIVED - Telecom Order CRTC 2014-664
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Ottawa, 18 December 2014
File number: 8643-B79-201410448
Bell Aliant Regional Communications, Limited Partnership and Bell Canada - PIC/CARE access customer handbook
- The Commission received an application from Bell Aliant Regional Communications, Limited Partnership and Bell Canada (collectively, the Bell companies), dated 9 October 2014, in which they requested approval of revisions to their Primary Interexchange Carrier/Customer Account Record Exchange Access Customer Handbook (PIC/CARE handbook).
- The Bell companies submitted that their revised PIC/CARE handbook includes a number of housekeeping changes, such as updated department names, Transaction Code Status Indicator codes, and tariff references, as well as the addition of new Numbering Plan Areas (NPAs). They also submitted that subsequent to receiving Commission approval, they would distribute the updated handbook electronically to the relevant interexchange carrier (IXC) customers.
- PIC/CARE handbooks set out the guidelines for the exchange of information between local exchange carriers and IXCs. In July 2000, the CRTC Interconnection Steering Committee Business Process Working Group developed a model PIC/CARE handbook for use by the telecommunications industry. The latest updates to the model PIC/CARE handbook were approved by the Commission in CRTC Interconnection Steering Committee - Consensus items, Telecom Decision CRTC 2007-121, 3 December 2007.
- The Commission received an intervention from Allstream Inc. (Allstream). The public record of this proceeding, which closed on 24 November 2014, is available on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca or by using the file number provided above.
- Allstream noted that the Bell companies had not included identifying marks to show what content was being revised, which made it difficult to identify the changes and consider whether any might have adverse consequences. Allstream requested that the Bell companies confirm compliance of their proposed PIC/CARE handbook with the current model. It also requested, in the event that the proposed PIC/CARE handbook was non-compliant, that the Bell companies identify each proposed change and indicate whether the change could adversely impact any IXC.
- The Bell companies replied that the proposed PIC/CARE handbook complies with the latest version of the model, found on the Commission’s website. They submitted that while the proposed PIC/CARE handbook is compliant and the revisions are simple housekeeping changes that have no material or adverse impacts on IXCs, they had provided a list of the changes made.
Commission’s analysis and determinations
- The Commission finds that the information provided in the Bell companies’ revised PIC/CARE handbook (i) is consistent with the latest version of the model, (ii) provides the necessary information with respect to PIC processing, and (iii) is consistent with PIC/CARE handbooks recently approved for other companies.
- Further, the Commission considers that the Bell companies have addressed Allstream’s concerns, both by confirming that the proposed revised version of their PIC/CARE handbook complies with the latest version of the model and by providing a list of the revisions they had made.
- Accordingly, the Commission approves the Bell companies’ PIC/CARE handbook.
- Date modified: