ARCHIVED - Telecom Order CRTC 2012-334
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Ottawa, 14 June 2012
Gosfield North Communications Co-operative Limited – Increase to local residential service rate
File number: Tariff Notice 18
1. The Commission received an application from Gosfield North Communications Co-operative Limited (Gosfield), dated 4 April 2012, proposing a revision to item 4 of its General Tariff – Rate Schedules for Primary Exchange (Local) Service, in order to increase the rate for residential individual-line service.
2. Specifically, the company proposed to raise the monthly rate for residential individual-line service from $23.95 to $25.95, consistent with determinations made in Telecom Regulatory Policy 2011-291.
3. Gosfield stated that it had implemented the new monthly rate of $25.95 on 1 August 2011, but that due to an oversight on its part, it did not file a tariff notice at that time requesting the Commission’s approval of the new rate. Accordingly, the company requested that the Commission ratify the charging of the rate of $25.95 from 1 August 2011 to the date of the order, pursuant to subsection 25(4) of the Telecommunications Act (the Act).
4. The Commission approved Gosfield’s application on an interim basis in Telecom Order 2012-232, noting that in Telecom Regulatory Policy 2011-291 it determined that the small incumbent local exchange carriers would be allowed to increase their monthly residential rates to a maximum of $30 over a three year period. The Commission also noted that it would address the company’s request for ratification in the final order.
5. With respect to Gosfield’s ratification request, the Commission notes that, pursuant to subsection 25(4) of the Act, it may ratify the charging of a rate by a Canadian carrier otherwise than in accordance with a tariff approved by the Commission if it is satisfied that the rate was charged because of an error or other circumstance that warrants the ratification.
6. The Commission is satisfied that Gosfield charged the rate of $25.95 without an approved tariff due to an error. The Commission therefore considers that the company’s request for ratification is reasonable.
7. Accordingly, the Commission approves on a final basis Gosfield’s application to increase the rate for residential individual-line service to $25.95, effective
14 June 2012, and ratifies the rate of $25.95 charged by the company from 1 August 2011 to 19 April 2012.
- Gosfield North Communications Co-operative Limited – Increase to local residential service rate, Telecom Order CRTC 2012-232, 20 April 2012
- Obligation to serve and other matters, Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2011-291, 3 May 2011, as amended by Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2011-291-1, 12 May 2011
- Date modified: