ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2011-389
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: 2011-55
Ottawa, 22 June 2011
Bhupinder Bola, on behalf of a corporation to be incorporated
Application 2010-1588-4, received 21 October 2010
Public hearing in the National Capital Region
5 April 2011
Tamil Radio – Specialty audio service
The Commission approves an application for a broadcasting licence to operate a national, ethnic Tamil- and English-language specialty audio service.
1. The Commission received an application by Bhupinder Bola, on behalf of a corporation to be incorporated (Bhupinder Bola (OBCI)), for a broadcasting licence to operate a national, ethnic Tamil- and English-language specialty audio programming undertaking to be known as Tamil Radio. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.
2. Bhupinder Bola (OBCI) will be owned and controlled by its sole shareholder and sole director Mr. Bhupinder Bola.
3. The applicant proposed to offer programming devoted to the Tamil-speaking communities in Canada. Bhupinder Bola (OBCI) indicated that 90% of the proposed service’s programming would be in the Tamil language and that the remaining 10% would be in the English language.
4. Bhupinder Bola (OBCI) indicated that the proposed service’s programming would consist of talk shows, music, news and general information on sports, politics, weather, health, farming, education, as well as import and export issues. Bhupinder Bola (OBCI) further indicated that it would broadcast approximately 30 hours of foreign programming in each broadcast week.
5. The applicant stated that to promote and develop Canadian artistic and musical talent, it would produce various local programs involving third-party producers and local artists from the South Asian communities across Canada.
6. The Commission is satisfied that the application is in conformity with all applicable terms and conditions set out in New licensing framework for specialty audio programming services, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2002-53, 12 September 2002. Accordingly, the Commission approves the application by Bhupinder Bola, on behalf of a corporation to be incorporated, for a broadcasting licence to operate the national, ethnic Tamil- and English-language specialty audio programming undertaking Tamil Radio. The terms and conditions of licence are set out in the appendix to this decision.
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
Appendix to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2011-389
Terms, conditions of licence and encouragement for the national, ethnic Tamil- and English-language specialty audio service Tamil Radio
The licence will expire 31 August 2017.
The Commission will issue a licence once the applicant has satisfied the Commission, with supporting documentation, that the following requirements have been met:
an eligible Canadian corporation has been incorporated in accordance with the application in all material respects;
the applicant has entered into a distribution agreement with at least one licensed distributor; and
the applicant has informed the Commission in writing that it is prepared to commence operations. The undertaking must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 24 months from the date of this decision, unless a request for an extension of time is approved by the Commission before 22 June 2013. In order to ensure that such a request is processed in a timely manner, it should be submitted at least 60 days before that date.
Conditions of licence
1. The licence will be subject to the conditions of licence and the licensing framework for specialty audio programming services set out in Appendix 1 to New licensing framework for specialty audio programming services, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2002-53, 12 September 2002.
2. The licensee shall provide a national, ethnic Tamil- and English-language specialty audio service devoted to the Tamil-speaking communities in Canada. Of the programming broadcast in each broadcast week, 90% shall be in the Tamil language, and the remaining 10% shall be in the English language. Programming shall consist of talk shows, music, news and general information on sports, politics, weather, health, farming, education, as well as import and export issues.
3. The licensee shall adhere to the Broadcast Code for Advertising to Children and the Equitable Portrayal Code, as amended from time to time and approved by the Commission.
4. The licensee shall adhere to sections 2.2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9(2) and 11 of the Radio Regulations, 1986.
5. The licensee shall adhere to the Broadcasting Licence Fee Regulations, 1997 if its revenues derived from broadcasting activities exceed the threshold amount of $2 million.
For the purposes of the conditions of this licence, broadcast day shall have the same meaning as that set out in section 2 of the Radio Regulations, 1986.
In accordance with Implementation of an employment equity policy, Public Notice CRTC 1992-59, 1 September 1992, the Commission encourages the licensee to consider employment equity issues in its hiring practices and in all other aspects of its management of human resources.
- Date modified: