Telecom Order CRTC 2022-44
Ottawa, 23 February 2022
TBayTel – Interim approval of a tariff application
- The Commission approves on an interim basis the following tariff application:
Applicant Tariff Notice and description Date of application Effective date TBayTel TN 174
General Tariff – Introduction of Next
Generation 9-1-1 (NG9-1-1) Service
1 November 2021
1 March 2022
- In Establishment of new deadlines for Canada’s transition to next-generation 9-1-1, Telecom Decision CRTC 2021-199, 14 June 2021, the Commission directed next-generation 9-1-1 (NG9-1-1) network providers, by 1 March 2022, to (i) establish their NG9-1-1 networks; (ii) complete all NG9-1-1 production onboarding activities; and (iii) be ready to provide NG9-1-1 Voice, wherever public safety answering points have been established in a particular region. In that decision, the Commission also directed all NG9-1-1 network providers to file proposed wholesale and retail NG9-1-1 tariffs by no later than 1 November 2021.
- On 1 November 2021, the Commission received a tariff application from TBayTel to introduce the NG9-1-1 service.
- The Commission recognizes the importance of ensuring that companies have sufficient time to transition to the NG9-1-1 network. Therefore, prior to its review of the whole record, the Commission finds it appropriate to approve, on an interim basis, TBayTel’s application and the terms and conditions, effective 1 March 2022.
- The Commission also notes that it intends to launch a proceeding to consider funding NG9-1-1 through the National Contribution Fund.
- The interim approval of this application complies with the 2006 and 2019 Policy DirectionsFootnote 1 by facilitating efficient tariff processes while enabling the Commission to consider, on the basis of a complete record, how its final decision can promote competition, affordability, consumer interests, and innovation.
- Revised tariff pages are to be issued within 10 calendar days of the date of this order. Revised tariff pages can be submitted to the Commission without a description page or a request for approval; a tariff application is not required.
- Date modified: