Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2022-318
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 27 September 2022
Ottawa, 22 November 2022
CKRK K-103 FM Mohawk Radio Kahnawake Association
Public record: 2022-0851-1
CKRK-FM Kahnawake – Technical changes
- The Commission has the authority, pursuant to subsection 9(1) of the Broadcasting Act (the Act), to issue licences for such terms not exceeding seven years and subject to such conditions related to the circumstances of the licensee as the Commission deems appropriate for the implementation of the broadcasting policy set out in subsection 3(1) of the Act, as well as to amend those conditions on application of the licensee.
- Consistent with this authority, the Commission approves the application by CKRK K-103 FM Mohawk Radio Kahnawake Association to change the authorized contours of the Indigenous (Type B NativeFootnote 1) radio programming undertaking CKRK-FM Kahnawake, Quebec, by moving to a new tower site, increasing the effective height of the antenna above average terrain (EHAAT) from 52.8 to 58.7 metres and amending the existing coordinates of the transmitter site. All other technical parameters will remain unchanged.
- The Commission did not receive any interventions in regard to this application.
- When requesting technical changes, licensees are generally required to demonstrate a technical or economic need. In regard to this application, the licensee stated that the proposed changes are necessary because of failing infrastructure: the existing tower has reached the end of its lifespan. The new tower would ensure the continuity of the service to the community.
- The Commission is satisfied that the licensee has demonstrated a technical need for the requested technical changes.
- Pursuant to subsection 22(1) of the Act, this authority will be effective only when the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
- The licensee must implement the technical changes by no later than 22 November 2024. To request an extension, the licensee must submit a written request to the Commission at least 60 days before that date, using the form available on the Commission’s website.
- As set out in section 16 of the Radio Regulations, 1986 (the Regulations), licensees have obligations relating to the broadcast of emergency alert messages received from the National Alert Aggregation and Dissemination System. In regard to the changes to CKRK-FM’s authorized contours resulting from the implementation of the technical changes approved in this decision, the Commission reminds the applicant that compliance with section 16 of the Regulations may require that any alert broadcast decoders (e.g., ENDEC) used for the purposes of broadcasting emergency alert messages on CKRK-FM, or on any rebroadcasting transmitters that may appear on the broadcasting licence for that station, be reprogrammed to properly account for the new authorized contours.
This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: