Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2022-271
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 10 August 2022
Ottawa, 5 October 2022
Durham Radio Inc.
Grimsby and Beamsville, Ontario
Public record: 2022-0417-1
CKLK-FM Grimsby and Beamsville – Technical changes
- The Commission has the authority, pursuant to subsection 9(1) of the Broadcasting Act (the Act), to issue licenses for such terms not exceeding seven years and subject to such conditions related to the circumstances of the licensee as the Commission deems appropriate for the implementation of the broadcasting policy set out in subsection 3(1) of the Act, as well as to amend those conditions on application of the licensee.
- Consistent with this authority, the Commission approves the application by Durham Radio Inc. to relocate the transmitter and change the authorized contours of the unlaunched English-language radio programming undertaking CKLK-FM Grimsby and Beamsville, Ontario, by decreasing the maximum effective radiated power (ERP) from 4,000 watts to 3,600 watts, decreasing the average ERP from 2,005 watts to 1,800 watts, increasing the effective height of the antenna above average terrain (EHAAT) from 6.0 to 28.2 metres and amending the existing coordinates of the transmitter site. Footnote 1
- The Commission received an intervention in support of this application.
- When requesting technical changes, licensees are generally required to demonstrate a technical or economic need. In regard to this application, the licensee stated that the proposed relocation is necessary because construction near the currently approved transmitter site has made Safety Code 6 compliance infeasible. Footnote 2 The proposed amendment would alleviate Safety Code 6 concerns and would not shift the station’s coverage away from the market it is licensed to serve, or expand the station’s coverage into a new market.
- The Commission is satisfied that the licensee has demonstrated a technical need for the requested technical changes.
- Pursuant to subsection 22(1) of the Act, this authority will be effective only when the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
- The licensee must implement the technical changes by no later than 5 October 2024. To request an extension, the licensee must submit a written request to the Commission at least 60 days before that date, using the form available on the Commission’s website.
- As set out in section 16 of the Radio Regulations, 1986 (the Regulations), licensees have obligations relating to the broadcast of emergency alert messages received from the National Alert Aggregation and Dissemination System. In regard to the changes to the radio station’s authorized contours resulting from the implementation of the technical changes approved in this decision, the Commission reminds the applicant that compliance with section 16 of the Regulations may require that any alert broadcast decoders (e.g., ENDEC) used for the purposes of broadcasting emergency alert messages on this radio station, or on any rebroadcasting transmitters that may appear on the broadcasting license for that station, be reprogrammed to properly account for the new authorized contours.
- CKLK-FM Grimsby and Beamsville – Technical changes, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2021-380, 12 November 2021
- CKLK-FM Grimsby and Beamsville – Technical Changes, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2020-252, 11 August 2020
This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: