Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2022-257
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 28 June 2022
Ottawa, 22 September 2022
Radio Communautaire Missisquoi
Public record: 2022-0270-4
CIDI-FM Lac-Brome – Technical changes
- The Commission has the authority, pursuant to subsection 9(1) of the Broadcasting Act (the Act), to issue licences for such terms not exceeding seven years and subject to such conditions related to the circumstances of the licensee as the Commission deems appropriate for the implementation of the broadcasting policy set out in subsection 3(1) of the Act, as well as to amend those conditions on application of the licensee.
- Consistent with this authority, the Commission approves the application by Radio Communautaire Missisquoi (RCM) to change the authorized contours of the English-language radio programming undertaking CIDI-FM Lac-Brome, Quebec, by increasing the maximum effective radiated power (ERP) from 1,450 to 2,000 watts and the average ERP from 483 to 1,215 watts. All other technical parameters will remain unchanged.
- The Commission received numerous interventions in support of this application as well as an intervention in comment.
- When requesting technical changes, licensees are generally required to demonstrate a technical or economic need. In regard to this application, RCM stated that the requested technical changes are necessary to better serve the community of Lac-Brome by correcting issues resulting from the failure of the main antenna in April 2022 and heavy interference from CFNJ-FM St-Gabriel-de-Brandon. RCM provided proof of acceptance of its proposed technical parameters by the licensee of CFNJ-FM.
- The Commission is satisfied that the licensee has demonstrated a technical need for the requested technical changes.
- Pursuant to subsection 22(1) of the Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
- The licensee must implement the technical changes by no later than 22 September 2024. To request an extension, the licensee must submit a written request to the Commission at least 60 days before that date, using the form available on the Commission’s website.
- As set out in section 16 of the Radio Regulations, 1986 (the Regulations), licensees have obligations relating to the broadcast of emergency alert messages received from the National Alert Aggregation and Dissemination System. In regard to the changes to CIDI-FM’s authorized contours resulting from the implementation of the technical changes approved in this decision, the Commission reminds the licensee that continued compliance with section 16 of the Regulations may require that any alert broadcast decoders (e.g., ENDEC) used for the purposes of broadcasting emergency alert messages on CIDI-FM, or on any rebroadcasting transmitters that may appear on the broadcasting licence for that station, be reprogrammed to properly account for the new authorized contours.
This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: