Telecom - Commission Letter addressed to Mr. W.N. (Bill) Beckman (SaskTel)
Ottawa, 6 April 2021
Our reference: 8662-S22-202101708
Mr. W.N. (Bill) Beckman
Senior Director - Regulatory Affairs
2121 Saskatchewan Drive
Regina, SK S4P 3Y2
RE: Request for Information regarding SaskTel’s application to Review and Vary Telecom Decision 2021-45
Dear Mr. Beckman:
On 18 March 2021, Saskatchewan Telecommunications (SaskTel) filed an application to review and vary Broadband Fund - Project funding approval for BH Telecom Corp.’s Saskatchewan transport fibre project, Telecom Decision CRTC 2021-45, 4 February 2021.
Paragraph 28(1)(a) of the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Rules of Practice and Procedure provides that the Commission may require parties to file information or documents where needed.
SaskTel is requested to provide comprehensive responses, including rationale and supporting information, to the attached questions by 16 April 2021. Interested parties may file comments in response to the new information provided in their response or intervention to SaskTel’s above-noted application by 26 April 2021. SaskTel may file reply comments with respect to this request for information when it files its reply comments by 6 May 2021.
As set out in section 39 of the Telecommunications Act and in Broadcasting and Telecom Information Bulletin CRTC 2010-961, Procedures for filing confidential information and requesting its disclosure in Commission proceedings, persons may designate certain information as confidential. A person designating information as confidential must provide a detailed explanation on why the designated information is confidential and why its disclosure would not be in the public interest, including why the specific direct harm that would be likely to result from the disclosure would outweigh the public interest in disclosure. Furthermore, a person designating information as confidential must either file an abridged version of the document omitting only the information designated as confidential or provide reasons why an abridged version cannot be filed.
Original signed by Julie Cook for
Director, Broadband Fund
c.c.: Suzanne Lamarre, B.H. Telecom, email@example.com
Kevin Pickell, CRTC, firstname.lastname@example.org
Requests for Information
- Provide the data, data source(s), and process that SaskTel used to define the location and boundaries of the communities referenced in its application.
- Provide the data and process that SaskTel used in its application to calculate the distance between a community and an existing Point of Presence (POP).
- Paragraph 89 of Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2018-177 states that the Commission considers that geographic areas where there is a POP with a minimum capacity of 1 Gbps can be considered served.
Provide the total dedicated capacity at each POP providing service in each community referenced in the application.
- Provide Geospatial maps (MapInfo format preferred) of each community referenced in the application. On each map, identify community boundaries, transport network locations and routes, and location of relevant POPs.
- In paragraph 31 to 34 of its application, SaskTel states that it provides service to 17 communities using different combinations of transport and access facilities, or that SaskTel fibre runs along the border of, or passes through, 7 communities.
Provide the first possible activation date for customers, to the day, of each of the transport networks referenced in those paragraphs.
- Date modified: