Broadcasting - Commission Letter addressed to Ted Woodhead (Rogers Communications Inc.)
Ottawa, 2 November 2021
Senior Vice President
Rogers Communications Inc.
RE: Application 2021-0228-4 – Application by Rogers Communications Inc. (Rogers), on behalf of Shaw Communications Inc. (Shaw), for Rogers to acquire all of the issued and outstanding shares of Shaw
This letter is in response to a procedural request filed on 15 October 2021 by Rogers Communications Inc. (Rogers). Rogers requested that the Commission grant the following supporting interveners the ability to appear at the 22 November 2021 public hearing, announced in Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2021-281:
- Diane Austin, Owen Sound Chamber of Commerce, Owen Sound, Ontario. Intervention #136.
- Christine Smith-Martin, Coastal First Nations/Great Bear Initiative, Vancouver, B.C. Intervention #249.
- Justin D’Entremont, Saskatchewan Premier Ball Hockey League, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Intervention #237.
- Daniel Taylor, Creator/host of the program “When Paintings Come Alive”, Kelowna, B.C. Intervention #92.
- Karen Tanaka, Individual from Vancouver, B.C. Intervention #58.
- Knud Petersen, Southern Alberta Council on Public Affairs, Lethbridge, Alberta Intervention #334.
- Dr. Kendall Ho, UBC Digital Emergency Medicine, Intercultural Online Health Network, Vancouver, B.C. Intervention #170.
In a Commission letter dated 13 October 2021, the Commission denied a previous procedural request by Rogers for the Commission to allow supporting interveners to appear at the 22 November 2021 public hearing. In that letter, the Commission noted that Rogers cannot file a procedural request on behalf of a third party unless Rogers or that third party has demonstrated that Rogers is authorized to act on that third party’s behalf.
As part of its new procedural request, Rogers provided emails from these interveners indicating that Rogers has the authority to act on their behalf and that these interveners wish to appear virtually at the public hearing.
The Commission is satisfied with the evidence provided by Rogers of its authority to represent the interveners in terms of filing this request and that the hearing would benefit from their participation. Accordingly, the Commission approves the 15 October 2021 procedural request by Rogers for the Commission to allow the aforementioned supporting interveners to appear at the 22 November 2021 public hearing.
A revised hearing agenda has been posted as part of the record of this hearing, on the Commission’s website, to reflect these changes.
- Date modified: