Telecom Order CRTC 2021-345
Ottawa, 22 October 2021
Public record: 1011-NOC2019-0372
Broadband Fund – Acceptance of statement of work for Cogeco Connexion Inc.’s Ontario (Florence) transport fibre project
- In Broadband Fund – Project funding approval for Cogeco Connexion Inc.’s Ontario (Florence) transport fibre project, Telecom Decision CRTC 2021-109, 19 March 2021 (Telecom Decision 2021-109), the Commission awarded up to $569,518 to Cogeco Connexion Inc. (Cogeco) to build transport infrastructure for the project proposed in its application filed in response to the second call for applications for funding from the Broadband Fund. On 29 March 2021, the Commission received written acceptance of this funding award from Cogeco.
- On 19 June 2021, the Commission received Cogeco’s proposed statement of work, including the information package regarding its Ontario (Florence) transport fibre project (the project).
Commission’s analysis and determinations
- Having reviewed the documents submitted, the Commission approves the finalized statement of work and will provide it separately and in confidence to Cogeco.
- Provided that Cogeco complies with all conditions of funding set out in Telecom Decision 2021-109, constructs the project as described in Schedule A: Statement of Work, and complies with all procedural requirements to submit reports, invoices, and requests for funding, the Commission will direct the Central Fund Administrator to make payments to Cogeco in respect of the project. Failure to comply with these conditions and requirements could result in funding being delayed or not being disbursed.
- Cogeco is required to submit, quarterly, a progress report and expense claim beginning no later than 7 February 2022 or as otherwise agreed to with the Commission, and every three months thereafter until the project is completed.
- Further, in accordance with the Commission’s determinations in Telecom Decision 2021-109, Cogeco must offer and provide broadband services using facilities funded through the Broadband Fund once the infrastructure is built, as committed to in its application and approved in Schedule B: Project Services.
- The 2006 Policy DirectionFootnote 1 and the 2019 Policy DirectionFootnote 2 (collectively, the Policy Directions) state that the Commission, in exercising its powers and performing its duties under the Telecommunications Act (the Act), shall implement the telecommunications policy objectives set out in section 7 of the Act, in accordance with the considerations set out therein,Footnote 3 and should specify how its decisions can, as applicable, promote competition, affordability, consumer interests, and innovation.
- The Commission considers that its approval of funding from the Broadband Fund for the project described in this order is consistent with the Policy Directions. Specifically, the decision to allocate funding towards improving broadband services in Ontario will help to close the gap in connectivity in underserved areas and will respond to the social and economic needs of consumers. In doing so, this order will implement the telecommunications policy objectives, including those set out in paragraphs 7(a), (b), and (h) of the Act.Footnote 4
- Date modified: