Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2021-281-1
Ottawa, 22 October 2021
Public record: 1011-NOC2021-0281
Notice of hearing
22 November 2021
Additional information added to the public file
New deadline for submission of undertakings: 29 November 2021
New deadline for submission of final written submissions from interveners: 13 December 2021
New deadline for final written reply by applicant: 20 December 2021
[Submit an intervention/comment/answer or view related documents]
- In Notice of hearing, Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2021-281, 12 August 2021, the Commission announced that it will hold a hearing commencing on 22 November 2021 at which it intends to consider an application by Rogers Communications Inc. (Rogers), on behalf of Shaw Communications Inc. (Shaw), for Rogers to acquire all of the issued and outstanding shares of Shaw.
- In a letter dated 7 October 2021 addressed to Colette Watson (Cable Public Affairs Channel Inc. [CPAC]), the Commission authorized CPAC to participate as an interested party to the proceeding.
- On 13 September 2021, the Commission received an intervention by the Community Media Advocacy Centre (CMAC) that included four procedural requests. The Commission approved, in part, CMAC’s request for the following:
- additional information regarding original programming aired on Rogers’s and Shaw’s community channels;
- community and local news programming costs for Rogers and Shaw; and
- employment data regarding the operation of Shaw’s and Rogers’s community channels as relates to licensed broadcasting distribution undertakings and Shaw’s licensed DTH pay-per-view service.
Consequently, the Commission asked Rogers to file this information by 1 November 2021.
- All parties who provided interventions on the public record during the period of 13 August 2021 to 13 September 2021 will have the opportunity to comment on the additional information to be provided by Rogers by 1 November 2021. Accordingly, the Commission announces the addition of a period of final written submissions from interveners and a period of final written reply from the applicant and CPAC as an interested party to the proceeding. Therefore, the Commission announces that the deadline for parties to submit information in response to undertakings, if any are required as part of the public hearing, is 29 November 2021.
- The Commission will accept final written submissions from interveners in relation to Rogers’s application, provided that they send a copy to the applicant and to CPAC and submit their comments by 13 December 2021. Rogers and CPAC may file a final reply, with a copy sent to the relevant interveners, by 20 December 2021.
- Final written submissions and replies should not exceed 10 pages. The Commission reminds parties that they cannot submit new evidence in their final submissions and replies with the exception of any information requested by the Commission.
- Date modified: