Telecom Order CRTC 2021-133
Ottawa, 16 April 2021
Public record: 1011-NOC2019-0191
Broadband Fund – Acceptance of statement of work for Broadband Communications North Inc.’s Manitoba satellite project
- In Broadband Fund – Project funding approval for Broadband Communications North Inc.’s Manitoba satellite project, Telecom Decision CRTC 2020-256, 12 August 2020 (Telecom Decision 2020-256), the Commission awarded funding to Broadband Communications North Inc. (BCN) for the project proposed in its application filed in response to the first call for applications for funding from the Broadband Fund. On 20 August 2020, the Commission received written acceptance of this funding award from BCN.
- On 10 December 2020, the Commission received BCN’s proposed statement of work, including the information package regarding its Manitoba satellite project (the project).
Commission’s analysis and determinations
- Having reviewed the documents submitted, the Commission approves the finalized statement of work and will provide it separately and in confidence to BCN.
- Provided that BCN complies with all conditions of funding set out in Telecom Decision 2020-256, constructs the project as described in Schedule A: Statement of Work, and complies with all procedural requirements to submit reports, invoices, and requests for funding, the Commission will direct the Central Fund Administrator to make payments to BCN in respect of the project. Failure to comply with these conditions and requirements could result in funding being delayed or not being disbursed.
- BCN is required to submit, quarterly, a progress report and expense claim beginning on 16 July 2021, or as otherwise agreed to, and every three months thereafter until the project is completed.
- Further, in accordance with the Commission’s determinations in Telecom Decision 2020-256, BCN must use the project to offer and provide telecommunications services, as committed to in its application and approved in Schedule B: Project Services.
- The 2006 Policy DirectionFootnote 1 and the 2019 Policy DirectionFootnote 2 (collectively, the Policy Directions) state that the Commission, in exercising its powers and performing its duties under the Telecommunications Act (the Act), shall implement the telecommunications policy objectives set out in section 7 of the Act, in accordance with the considerations set out therein,Footnote 3 and should specify how its decisions can, as applicable, promote competition, affordability, consumer interests, and innovation.
- The Commission considers that its approval of funding from the Broadband Fund for the project described in this order is consistent with the Policy Directions. Specifically, the decision to allocate funding towards improving broadband services in northern Manitoba will help to close the gap in connectivity in underserved areas and will respond to the social and economic needs of consumers. In doing so, this order will implement the telecommunications policy objectives, including those set out in paragraphs 7(a), (b), and (h) of the Act.Footnote 4
- Date modified: