Telecom Procedural Letter addressed to Carl MacQuarrie (Xplornet Communications Inc.).
Ottawa, 12 February 2020
File No. 8662-X9-201911339
To: Xplornet Communications Inc.
c/o Mr. Carl MacQuarrie, Regulatory Counsel
625 Cochrane Drive, Suite 1000
RE: Request to Review and Vary Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2019-269 regarding the Internet Code
Dear Mr. MacQuarrie:
The Commission is in receipt of a part 1 application, dated 29 October 2019, by Xplornet Communications Inc. (Xplornet) in which the company requests that the Commission review and vary Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2019-269, The Internet Code, 31 July 2019 (the Internet Code). Interested parties submitted interventions by 6 December 2019 and Xplornet submitted its reply on 16 December 2019.
In order to assist in the analysis of the application, the Appendix to this letter sets out questions for Xplornet to answer by no later than 24 February. Xplornet is also requested to repeat each question in its reply.
In light of this request for information, following Xplornet’s responses to questions, parties to the proceeding may respond to this new information by 5 March and Xplornet may reply by 15 March 2020.
As set out in Broadcasting and Telecom Information Bulletin 2010-961, Procedures for filing confidential information and requesting its disclosure in Commission proceedings, Internet service providers (ISPs) may designate certain information as confidential. ISPs must provide an abridged version of the document involved, accompanied by a detailed rationale to explain why the disclosure of the information is not in the public interest. All submissions are to be made in accordance with the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission Rules of Practice and Procedure, SOR/2010-277.
A copy of this letter and all related correspondence will be added to the public record of the proceeding.
Original signed by/
Social and Consumer Policy
Consumer, Research and Communications
c.c.: Sherwin Pagtakhan, CRTC, firstname.lastname@example.org
Bell Canada, email@example.com
Union des consommateurs, firstname.lastname@example.org
Bragg Communications Inc., carrying on Business as "Eastlink", email@example.com
Request for information
Provide the following information to clarify the details of your application.
- In paragraph 24, Xplornet provided the number of disconnection notices it sent to customers due to failure to pay and the number of those notices that resulted in disconnection in 2018. However, given that multiple notices may be sent prior to disconnection, it is unclear how the number of disconnection notices relates to the number of customers who received such notices.
- Based on Xplornet’s 2018 operating practices, how many notifications of disconnection related to failure to pay would Xplornet send a customer prior to disconnection?
- How many customers did Xplornet send disconnection notices to in 2018?
- How many customers did Xplornet disconnect in 2018?
- In paragraph 27 of your application, you estimate that in 2020, Xplornet’s bad debt expense will increase by 50% as a result of the disconnection criteria outlined in the Internet Code.
- Specify the amount of Xplornet’s projected bad debt expense for 2020.
- Date modified: