Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2020-403
References: Part 1 licence renewal application posted on 30 October 2020; Part 1 application posted on 30 October 2020
Ottawa, 17 December 2020
1760791 Ontario Inc.
Public record for these applications: 2019-0922-7 and 2019-0924-3
CINA Mississauga – Licence renewal and licence amendment
- The Commission has the authority, pursuant to section 9(1) of the Broadcasting Act (the Act), to issue and renew licences for such terms not exceeding seven years and subject to such conditions related to the circumstances of the licensee as it deems appropriate for the implementation of the broadcasting policy set out in section 3(1) of the Act.
- Consistent with that authority, the Commission renews the broadcasting licence for the commercial ethnic radio programming undertaking CINA Mississauga, Ontario, from 1 March 2021 to 31 August 2027.Footnote 1 The Commission did not receive any interventions in regard to the licence renewal application (2019-0922-7). The terms and conditions of licence for this station are set out in the appendix to this decision.
- Sections 3(1)(e) and 3(1)(s)(i) of the Act declare that each element of the Canadian broadcasting system shall contribute in an appropriate manner to the creation and presentation of Canadian programming and that private networks and programming undertakings should, to an extent consistent with the financial and other resources available to them, contribute significantly to the creation and presentation of Canadian programming. In accordance with this aspect of the broadcasting policy and pursuant to its authority in section 9(1), the Commission has imposed conditions of licence requiring programming undertakings to contribute in various ways to the creation of Canadian programming, including imposing Canadian content development (CCD) contribution requirements.
- CINA is currently subject to the following condition of licence relating to CCD, set out in the appendix to Broadcasting Decision 2013-652:
6. To fulfill its original commitment to Canadian content development as set out in Ethnic radio programming undertakings in Mississauga and Brampton, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2007-117, 23 April 2007, the licensee shall contribute the following amounts to the Ethnic Broadcaster Scholarship Fund to be administered by Humber College:
- $12,000 in the 2013-2014 broadcast year;
- $13,000 in the 2014-2015 broadcast year; and
- $3,750 in the 2015-2016 broadcast year.
- The licensee requested the deletion of this condition of licence in a Part 1 application (2019-0924-3). The Commission did not receive any interventions in regard to this licence amendment application.
- The Commission notes that the licensee is in compliance with its regulatory obligations, including those set out in the above-noted condition of licence relating to CCD contributions, and that the obligations set out in that condition of licence have expired. Accordingly, the Commission finds that it would be appropriate to delete that condition of licence for CINA, and approves the licensee’s application.
- Pursuant to section 22 of the Act, the broadcasting licence renewed in this decision will cease to have any force or effect if the broadcasting certificate issued by the Department of Industry lapses.
- Various radio programming undertakings – Administrative renewals, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2020-284, 21 August 2020
- CINA Mississauga – Licence renewal, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2013-652, 4 December 2013
This decision is to be appended to the licence.
Appendix to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2020-403
Terms, conditions of licence, expectation and encouragement for the commercial ethnic radio programming undertaking CINA Mississauga, Ontario
The licence will expire 31 August 2027.
Conditions of licence
- The licensee shall adhere to the conditions of licence set out in Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009, as well as to the conditions set out in the broadcasting licence for the undertaking.
- The licensee shall devote at least 10% of all content category 3 (Special Interest Music) musical selections broadcast during ethnic broadcast periods to Canadian selections.
- The licensee shall devote at least 93.6% of the programming broadcast each broadcast week to third-language programs, as defined in the Radio Regulations, 1986, as amended from time to time.
- In each broadcast week, the licensee shall broadcast programming directed to at least nine ethnic groups in a minimum of six languages.
- Where the licensee broadcasts religious programming as defined in Religious Broadcasting Policy, Public Notice CRTC 1993-78, 3 June 1993, the licensee shall adhere to the guidelines set out in sections III.B.2.a) and IV of that public notice with respect to the provision of balance and ethics in religious programming.
The Commission expects the licensee to reflect the cultural diversity of Canada in its programming and employment practices.
In accordance with Implementation of an employment equity policy, Public Notice CRTC 1992-59, 1 September 1992, the Commission encourages the licensee to consider employment equity issues in its hiring practices and in all other aspects of its management of human resources.
- Date modified: