Telecom Order CRTC 2020-378
Ottawa, 24 November 2020
Northwestel Inc. – Interim approval of a tariff application
- The Commission approves on an interim basis the following tariff application:
Table of Tariff Applications Applicant Tariff Notice and description Date of application Effective date Northwestel Inc. TN 1099
General Tariff – Introduction of unlimited Terrestrial Internet packages
14 October 2020 1 December 2020
- Although the period for comments regarding the application is not yet closed, the Commission notes that it already received several interventions that generally support the offering of an unlimited Internet package, and a procedural request from SSi Micro Ltd., doing business as SSi Canada (SSi). SSi requested, among other things, that the Commission withhold interim approval of the application until a costing study has been filed with the Commission, citing the potential of significant harm to Northwestel’s competitors.
- On 10 November 2020, Northwestel filed responses to requests for information, in which the company attested that the proposed rates pass the price floor test, and indicated that a cost study would be filed. The Commission received the cost study on 13 November 2020.
- The Commission considers it appropriate to approve the application on an interim basis prior to reviewing the whole record, in order to address customers’ increased Internet data needs and alleviate their increased Internet usage costs in the circumstances of the COVID-19 pandemic. The Commission will address its final determination regarding the unlimited Internet data packages and rates that are under consideration in the application, and any related issues if necessary, in a subsequent order that will be based on the complete record.
- The interim approval of this application complies with the 2006 and 2019 Policy DirectionsFootnote 1 by facilitating efficient tariff processes while enabling the Commission to consider, on the basis of a complete record, how its final decision can promote competition, affordability, consumer interests, and innovation.
- Revised tariff pages are to be issued within 10 calendar days of the date of this order. Revised tariff pages can be submitted to the Commission without a description page or a request for approval; a tariff application is not required.
- Date modified: