Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2020-346
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 9 July 2020
Ottawa, 1 October 2020
B.C. Conference of the Mennonite Brethren Churches
Abbotsford, British Columbia
Public record for this application: 2020-0397-9
CFEG-TV Abbotsford – Technical changes
- The Commission has the authority, pursuant to section 9(1) of the Broadcasting Act (the Act), to issue and renew licences for such terms not exceeding seven years and subject to such conditions related to the circumstances of the licensee as it deems appropriate for the implementation of the broadcasting policy set out in section 3(1) of the Act, as well as to amend those conditions on application of the licensee.
- Consistent with this authority, the Commission approves the application by The B.C. Conference of the Mennonite Brethren Churches to change the authorized contours of the community-based religious television programming undertaking CFEG-TV Abbotsford, British Columbia, by switching from analog to digital television broadcasting, changing the channel from 19 to 28, increasing the effective radiated power from 50 to 475 watts, decreasing the effective height of the antenna above average terrain from 78.5 to 61.4 metres and amending the coordinates of the transmitter site. All other technical parameters will remain unchanged.
- The licensee stated that its existing antenna was damaged in a wind storm and is no longer working well. Since the licensee must purchase a new antenna, it intends to take the opportunity to convert to digital and to extend the station’s coverage to provide a better quality signal to the immediate community and extend the signal beyond the surrounding community.
- The Commission did not receive any interventions in regard to this application.
- The Commission notes that these amendments could affect viewership. The range of availability would increase from 12,000 to 18,000 (an increase of 50%) within the local service area and from 105,955 to 206,636 (an increase of 95%) within the regional service area.
- Pursuant to section 22(1) of the Act, this authority will be effective only when the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
- The licensee must implement the technical changes by no later than 1 October 2022. To request an extension, the licensee must submit a written request to the Commission at least 60 days before the date, using the form available on the Commission’s website.
This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: