Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2020-276
References: Part 1 licence renewal applications posted on 5 June 2020
Ottawa, 14 August 2020
Cogeco Media Inc.
Lachute, La Sarre, Laval, Rouyn-Noranda and Val-d’Or, Quebec
Public record for these applications: 2019-0937-6, 2019-0938-4 , 2019-0939-2 , 2019-0941-7 , 2019-0942-5
Various commercial radio stations – Licence renewals
- The Commission has the authority, pursuant to section 9(1) of the Broadcasting Act (the Act), to issue and renew licences for such terms not exceeding seven years and subject to such conditions related to the circumstances of the licensee as it deems appropriate for the implementation of the broadcasting policy set out in section 3(1) of the Act.
- Consistent with that authority, the Commission renews the broadcasting licences for the French-language commercial radio programming undertakings listed below from 1 September 2020 to 31 August 2027. The Commission did not receive any interventions in regard to these applications. The terms and conditions of licence for these stations are set out in the appendix to this decision.
French-language commercial radio programming undertakings Call sign and location Application CFGL-FM Laval, Quebec 2019-0937-6 CHGO-FM Val-d'Or, Quebec 2019-0938-4 CHOA-FM Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec, and its transmitters CHOA-FM-1 Val d'Or and CHOA-FM-2 La Sarre 2019-0939-2 CJGO-FM La Sarre, Quebec, and its transmitter CJGO FM-1 Rouyn-Noranda 2019-0941-7 CJLA-FM Lachute, Quebec 2019-0942-5
Tangible benefits – CHGO-FM Val-d’Or, CHOA-FM Rouyn-Noranda and its transmitters, CJGO-FM La Sarre and its transmitter, and CJLA-FM Lachute
- The licensee must fulfill all the remaining tangible benefits resulting from the acquisition by Cogeco Media Inc. from RNC Media Inc. of the assets of CHGO-FM, CHOA-FM and its transmitters, CJGO-FM and its transmitter, and CJLA-FM, approved in Various radio programming undertakings – Acquisition of assets, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2018-396, 11 October 2018.
Force and effect of broadcasting certificates
- Pursuant to section 22 of the Act, the broadcasting licences renewed in this decision will cease to have any force or effect if the broadcasting certificates issued by the Department of Industry lapse.
- Because this licensee is subject to the Employment Equity Act and files reports concerning employment equity with the Department of Employment and Social Development, its employment equity practices are not examined by the Commission.
This decision is to be appended to each licence.
Appendix to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2020-276
Terms, conditions of licence and expectation for the French-language commercial radio programming undertakings for which the broadcasting licences are renewed in this decision
The licences will expire 31 August 2027.
Conditions of licence applicable to all stations
- The licensee shall adhere to the conditions of licence set out in Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009, as well as to the conditions set out in the broadcasting licence for the undertakings.
Additional condition of licence applicable to CJLA-FM Lachute
- In each broadcast week, the licensee shall not broadcast more than one hour of English-language programming consisting of news bulletins, interviews with community members and special-interest items relating to local social or cultural activities, as well as not more than five minutes per day of advertising.
Expectation applicable to all stations
The Commission expects the licensee to reflect the cultural diversity of Canada in its programming and employment practices.
- Date modified: