Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2020-202
Reference: Part 1 licence renewal application posted on 31 January 2020
Ottawa, 23 June 2020
Public record for this application: 2019-0962-3
CHMG-TV Québec – Licence renewal
- On 3 June 2019, the Commission issued Broadcasting Notice of Consultation 2019-192 (the call), which listed the television services and stations for which the licences needed to be renewed to continue their operations.
- In response to the call, Télé-Mag inc. filed an application to renew the broadcasting licence for its French-language independent low-power community-based television station CHMG-TV Québec, Quebec, which expires on 31 August 2020. The Commission did not receive any interventions in regard to this application.
- The Commission has the authority, pursuant to section 9 of the Broadcasting Act (the Act), to issue licences for such terms not exceeding seven years and subject to such conditions related to the circumstances of the licensee as it deems appropriate for the implementation of the broadcasting policy set out in section 3(1) of the Act.
- Pursuant to this authority, the Commission renews the broadcasting licence for the French-language independent low-power community-based television station CHMG-TV Québec, from 1 September 2020 to 31 August 2025. The terms and conditions of licence are set out in the appendix to this decision.
- The licensee stated that it would adhere to the provisions and requirements applicable to the community television stations set out in Appendix 2 to Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2016-224. It also proposed to maintain the conditions of licence set out in Appendix 20 to Broadcasting decision 2013-467. The Commission considers it appropriate to maintain these conditions of licence, with the exception of conditions 2 and 3, since they are now included in the standard conditions.
- Call for licence renewal applications,Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2019-192, 3 June 2019
- Policy framework for local and community television, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2016-224, 15 June 2016
- Various independent conventional and community-based television programming undertakings – Licence renewals, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2013-467, 30 August 2013
This decision is to be appended to the licence.
Appendix to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2020-202
Terms, conditions de licence, expectations and encouragements for the French-language independent low-power community-based programming undertaking CHMG-TV Québec, Quebec
The licence will expire 31 August 2025.
Conditions de licence
- The licensee shall adhere to the standard conditions of licence for community television stations set out in Appendix 2 to Policy framework for local and community television, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2016-224, 15 June 2016, as well as to the conditions set out in the broadcasting licence for the undertaking.
- In each broadcast year, the licensee shall devote not less than 5% of gross revenues derived from broadcasting activities for the current year to the acquisition of programming produced by other independent producers of the Quebec region.
For the purpose of the conditions of licence, the term “broadcast day” means a period of 18 consecutive hours, beginning each day at six o’clock in the morning.
“Broadcast month,” “broadcast year” and “evening broadcast period” shall have the same meaning as set out in the Television Broadcasting Regulations, 1987.
The standard expectations applicable to this licensee are set out in Appendix 2 to Policy framework for local and community television, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2016-224, 15 June 2016.
The standard encouragements applicable to this licensee are set out in Appendix 2 to Policy framework for local and community television, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2016-224, 15 June 2016.
- Date modified: