Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2020-168
References: Part 1 licence renewal applications posted on 3 December 2019
Ottawa, 26 May 2020
Harvard Broadcasting Inc.
Various locations in Alberta and Saskatchewan
Public record for these applications: 2019-0609-1, 2019-0611-6, 2019-0613-2, 2019-0614-0, 2019-0615-8 and 2019-0618-2
Various commercial radio stations – Licence renewals
- The Commission renews the broadcasting licences for the English-language commercial radio programming undertakings listed below from 1 September 2020 to 31 August 2027. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with these applications. The terms and conditions of licence for these stations are set out in the appendix to this decision.
Call sign and location Application CFEX-FM Calgary, Alberta 2019-0609-1 CFVR-FM Fort McMurray, Alberta 2019-0618-2 CHFT-FM Fort McMurray, Alberta 2019-0615-8 CFWD-FM Saskatoon, Saskatchewan 2019-0613-2 CHMX-FM Regina, Saskatchewan 2019-0611-6 CKRM Regina, Saskatchewan 2019-0614-0
Local programming (CFEX-FM Calgary, CHFT-FM Fort McMurray, CFWD-FM Saskatoon, CHMX-FM Regina)
- Local radio stations are an important daily source of local news and information for communities. Holding a broadcasting licence comes with conditions, regulatory obligations and responsibilities, which include contributing to the Canadian broadcasting system by ensuring that Canadians have access to local programming that reflects their needs and interests and informs them of important current issues.
- The licensee proposed for the following stations to broadcast the following weekly levels of news:
- CFEX-FM Calgary, Alberta – 55 minutes;
- CHFT-FM Fort McMurray, Alberta – 25 minutes;
- CFWD-FM Saskatoon, Saskatchewan – 1 hour;
- CHMX-FM Regina, Saskatchewan – 1 hour.
- Although Commercial Radio Policy 2006, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2006-158, 15 December 2006, does not specify a minimum level of weekly news to be broadcast, it does specify the type of spoken word material that must be included as part of a station’s local programming. In accordance with that public notice, the Commission reminds the licensee that the above-noted stations, in their local programming, must incorporate spoken word material of direct and particular relevance to the communities served, and that this programming must include local news, weather, sports coverage, and the promotion of local events and activities. In addition, the Commission encourages the licensee to ensure that a reasonable amount of daily local news and information is made available to those communities.
Force and effect of broadcasting certificates
- Pursuant to section 22 of the Broadcasting Act, the broadcasting licences renewed in this decision will cease to have any force or effect if the broadcasting certificates issued by the Department of Industry lapse.
- Because this licensee is subject to the Employment Equity Act and files reports concerning employment equity with the Department of Employment and Social Development, its employment equity practices are not examined by the Commission.
This decision is to be appended to each licence.
Appendix to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2020-168
Terms, conditions of licence, expectation and encouragement for the English-language commercial radio programming undertakings for which the broadcasting licences are renewed in this decision
The licence will expire 31 August 2027.
Conditions of licence applicable to all stations
- The licensee shall adhere to the conditions of licence set out in Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009, as well as to the conditions set out in the broadcasting licence for the undertaking.
Additional condition of licence applicable to CFEX-FM Calgary, CFWD-FM Saskatoon and CFVR-FM Fort McMurray
- The licensee shall, as an exception to the percentage of Canadian musical selections set out in sections 2.2(8) and 2.2(9) of the Radio Regulations, 1986 (the Regulations), in any broadcast week:
- devote, in that broadcast week, a minimum of 40% of its musical selections from content category 2 (Popular Music) to Canadian selections broadcast in their entirety; and
- devote, between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. in the period from Monday to Friday of the same broadcast week, 40% or more of its musical selections from content category 2 to Canadian selections broadcast in their entirety.
For the purposes of this condition, the terms “broadcast week,” “Canadian selection,” “content category,” and “musical selection” shall have the meanings set out in the Regulations.
Additional condition of licence applicable to CFVR-FM Fort McMurray
- The licensee shall, with the support of the Aboriginal Peoples Television Network, train at least one person from the local Aboriginal community in news reporting during each year of the licence term.
Expectation applicable to all stations
The Commission expects the licensee to reflect the cultural diversity of Canada in its programming and employment practices.
Encouragement applicable to CFEX-FM Calgary, CHFT-FM Fort McMurray, CFWD‑FM Saskatoon and CHMX-FM Regina
The Commission encourages the licensee to ensure that a reasonable amount of daily local news and information is made available to the communities served by the station.
- Date modified: