Telecom - Commission letter addressed to Distribution List
Ottawa, 23 December 2019
Our reference: 1011-NOC2019-0057
RE: Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2019-57, Review of mobile wireless services – disclosure of statistical information filed by the Commissioner of Competition in his report
Dear Madams, Sirs:
On 22 November 2019, the Commissioner of Competition filed his further comments, as well as an accompanying economic report, prepared by Dr. Tasneem Chipty of Matrix Economics (The Report). These documents were both filed with abridged versions for the public record (containing redacted information) and confidential versions for the Commission only.
Four parties have made requests to have certain elements of this redacted information disclosed: Bell Mobility, CNOC, Rogers and Telus.
The various requests made by CNOC and Telus are being evaluated by the Commission, including requests related to whether additional procedure is appropriate.
However, by way of this staff letter, parties are hereby notified that the Commission has made determinations regarding the requests made by Bell Canada and Rogers related to the disclosure of statistical diagnostic information. The Commission has also affirmed that parties are to proceed with their reply comments to the Report according to the timelines established in Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2019-57-1.
Commission staff is communicating the Commission’s determinations in advance of a Secretary General letter, in which additional reasons for the decision will be provided, in order to provide parties more time to effectively incorporate the information to be disclosed into their 13 January 2020 reply comments.
The Commission has decided that:
1.The Commissioner is to publicly disclose the following:
- All estimated regression coefficients and all calculated marginal effects reported in Exhibits 8, 9, and 10 in the Report;
- All estimated percentage changes reported in Exhibits 11 and 12 in the Report;
- The diagnostic results and coefficient of the time trend variable presented in Appendix D, Exhibits D-2 and D-3.
- All summary statistics that are related to Bell-specific data in the Report
3. The Commissioner is to, upon written request, disclose to any other carrier whose confidential information was used in the Report:
- All summary statistics that are related to that carrier’s specific data in the Report
The Commission considered that public disclosure of the outcomes of statistical models poses minimal risk of harm to parties who disclosed their confidential information to the Commissioner. It also considered that disclosure of the statistical information would better allow parties to respond to and test the Commissioner’s evidence, and lead to a more fulsome record.
As noted above, a letter from the Secretary General will follow. In the meantime, the Commissioner is to disclose the information noted above by no later than 30 December 2019.
Original signed by
Distribution List: All parties to 2019-57
- Date modified: