Telecom Procedural Letter addressed to the Distribution list
Ottawa, 12 August 2019
Our reference: 8638-B2-201905879
RE: Part 1 Application by Bell Canada to allow Bell Canada and its affiliates to temporarily block certain potential verified fraudulent and scam voice calls on trial basis File No. 8638-B2-201905879– Procedural Requests
By letter dated 1 August 2019, copied on CLECs, ILECs, SILECs, Other Carriers and Wireless Carriers, Bell Canada requested an extension to the reply deadline in the above-named proceeding. Bell Canada cited the following reasons for its request:
- Due to previously scheduled vacation, Bell Canada’s subject matter expert is unavailable during the period allocated to prepare and file the reply.
- Bell Canada had anticipated filing this Part 1 application sooner, however, a number of un-anticipated matters arose related to other Commission’s proceedings. These delayed the filing of Bell Canada’s reply.
Bell Canada requested that the Commission extend the period for its reply to interventions, from 9 September to 25 September 2019 to allow its subject matter expert time to review and respond to any potential interventions.
By letter filed on 5 August 2019, Mr. Marc Nanni requested an extension to 11 September 2019 for the intervention deadline, disclosure of certain information filed in confidence by Bell Canada and production of certain documents.
By letter dated 8 August 2019 Dr. Fenwick McKelvey requested that the Commission permit interveners to submit requests for information in respect of Bell Canada’s application.
Mr. Marc Nanni and Me. Mark Phillips each filed letters, dated 8 August 2019, in support of Dr. Fenwick McKelvey’s request.
Pursuant to Rule 27 of the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission Rules of Practice and Procedure (the Rules), the procedural deadlines in respect of the application in question, filed on 24 July 2019, are as follows: (i) the 30-day deadline for interventions is 28 August 2019 and (ii) the 10-day deadline for filing a reply is 9 September 2019.
Commission staff considers that, in the circumstances, extensions to the intervention and reply deadlines are appropriate. In staff’s view, extending the period of time from 10 to 26 days for Bell Canada to file its reply, while maintaining the existing 30 days for interested parties to file interventions would not be appropriate. Staff considers that both the intervention and reply deadlines should be extended in an equitable fashion in fairness to all parties. In addition, an extension to the intervention deadline is appropriate to ensure that interested parties other than those who originally received copies of Bell Canada’s application have an adequate opportunity to participate.
With regard to the request made by Dr. McKelvey and supported by Mr Nanni and Me Phillips, Commission staff considers that permitting interveners to address requests for information to Bell Canada is not required in the public interest in the circumstances of this process; however, Commission staff intends to address interrogatories to Bell Canada to ensure that the Commission is able to reach a full and satisfactory understanding of the application.
In light of all of the foregoing,
- the current deadlines for the filing of interventions and Bell Canada’s reply are suspended;
- Bell Canada may, by 15 August 2019, file a response to Mr. Nanni’s requests, serving a copy on Mr. Nanni;
- Commission staff intends to address its requests for information to Bell Canada by 16 August 2019, and Bell Canada will have three weeks in which to file its responses.
- The revised deadlines for interventions and reply will be set out following disposition of Mr. Nanni’s requests for production and disclosure.
Original signed by
Chief Compliance and Enforcement Officer, CRTC
Mr. Philippe Gauvin
Assistant General Counsel
Floor 19, 160 Elgin Street
Ottawa, Ontario, K2P 2C4
Mr. Marc Nanni
Gatineau, Quebec, J8T 4L9
Dr. Fenwick McKelvey
7141 Sherbrooke St. W
Montreal, Quebec, H4B 1R6
Me. Mark Phillips
4104, rue Saint-Denis
Montreal, Québec, H2W 2M5
Interested parties to CETNOC 2017-405, 2017-405-1 and other providers of voice telecommunication service
- Date modified: