ARCHIVED - Telecom Procedural Letter adressed to the Distribution List
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Ottawa, 6 August 2019
Our references: 8740-E17-201900134 (TN 40), 1011-NOC2018-0459 (NOC)
RE: Eastlink Tariff Notice (TN) 40 and Telecom Notice of Consultation (NOC) 2018-459
Dear Madam, Sir:
On 24 July 2019, Commission staff issued a letter merging the proceedings of Eastlink’s Tariff Notice 40 (TN 40) and Telecom Notice of Consultation 2018-459Footnote1 (the NOC) setting out a schedule for parties to provide additional comments. In this same letter, Commission staff directed Eastlink to provide on the public record portions of its reply comments of 21 February 2019 previously filed in confidence.
On 5 August 2019, a letter was received from Frontier Networks Inc. (Frontier) requesting a procedural change on the basis that the process, as set out by Commission staff, will create a situation of procedural unfairness for Frontier and potentially other interested parties in the merged proceeding. Further, certain interested parties, like Frontier, are deprived of an opportunity to submit comments with respect to replies that were filed in the original proceeding in which they participated.
To remedy this situation, Frontier requests that the Commission issue a new procedural letter that sets out a streamlined process for the merged proceeding.
Commission staff has considered the request and agrees that the process should be adjusted. Commission Staff has determined that the revised process set out below will provide reasonable amount of time to interested parties to prepare their submissions with regard to the TN 40 and NOC proceedings:
- Any party to the TN 40 proceeding or the NOC proceeding may file comments addressing any interventions and / or replies on the record of the TN 40 and / or the NOC proceedings by 21 August 2019
- Any party to the merged proceeding may file a reply to the comments filed on 21 August 2019 by 5 September 2019
Commission Staff also notes that where a document is to be filed or served by a specific date with the Commission, the document must be actually received, not merely sent, by that date. Copies of the documents should also be sent to William.Lloyd@crtc.gc.ca
Original signed by
Director, Competitor Services & Costing Implementation
c.c.: Bill Lloyd, William.Lloyd@crtc.gc.ca
Trichur Krishnan, Trichur.Krishnan@crtc.gc.ca
Regulatory Affairs, Cogeco Communications, firstname.lastname@example.org
Regulatory, Eastlink, email@example.com
Regulatory Telecom, Rogers Communications Canada Inc., firstname.lastname@example.org
Regulatory Affairs, Shaw Cablesystems G.P., Regulatory@sjrb.ca
Regulatory Affairs, Quebecor Media Inc. (Videotron), email@example.com
CNOC Regulatory, Canadian Network Operators Consortium Inc., firstname.lastname@example.org
Public Interest Advocacy Centre, email@example.com
City Wide Communications, firstname.lastname@example.org
Frontier Networks Inc., email@example.com
Regulatory Affairs, Distributel Communications Limited, firstname.lastname@example.org
Rothschild & Co. Limited, email@example.com
Christopher Copeland, firstname.lastname@example.org
Information to be disclosed and to be kept confidential by Eastlink
Eastlink is required to release the following confidential information, contained in the company’s ‘Eastlink TN 40 – Reply to Interventions’ document (the document), filed with the Commission on 21 February 2019, on the public record.
- Release the confidential information in its entirety filed by Eastlink at paragraph 9 of the document on the public record.
- Release all information provided in confidence on the public record, at paragraph 11 of the document, except the names of the two entities identified therein.
- Keep confidential the four instances that show customers’ names, in the fourth and fifth sentences (lines 8 to 11) of paragraph 16 of the document; release the remaining text on the public record.
- Keep the fifth sentence (line 8) of paragraph 17 of the document, beginning from the customer’s name to the end of that sentence, confidential; release the remaining text of the fifth, sixth and seventh sentences (lines 8 to 12) on the public record.
- Date modified: