Telecom Commission Letter addressed to Michelle Dupuis (TELUS Communication Inc.)
Ottawa, 24 January 2019
Our reference: 8740-T69-201810630
Ms. Michelle Dupuis
Senior Regulatory Legal Counsel
Telecom Policy & Regulatory Affairs
TELUS Communication Inc.
215 Slater Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1C 6Y3
RE: Tariff Notice 634 – Payphone Per Call Compensation
Dear Ms. Dupuis:
On 30 November 2018, the Commission received an application by TELUS Communications Inc., (TELUS) under Tariff Notice (TN) 634, proposing to increase the current rate for its Carrier Access Tariff (CRTC 25082) - Item 1.02.03, Payphone Per Call Compensation to $0.5482 as of January 16, 2019.
In order to assist in the analysis of the application, TELUS is to provide a response to the attached request for information (RFIs) by 7February 2019.
Original signed by
Director, Competitor Services & Costing Implementation
c.c.: Nat Natraj, CRTC, 819-953-5081, email@example.com
Request for Information
- Refer to paragraph 4 of TELUS letter dated 30 November 2018 regarding TN 634 - Payphone Per Call Compensation Service and provide:
- TELUS’ assessment of demand and cost of the service showing that the decline in demand does not result in a proportional decline in service costs, leading to a cost-per-call that is above the unit cost used to estimate the current tariff rate.
- For each of the last 5 years, the number of TELUS payphones, the average call volume per payphone, and maintenance costs (of booths and phone sets).
- Comparison of current rate and cost of providing Payphone Per Call Compensation Service.
- Refer to paragraph 5 of TELUS letter dated 30 November 2018 regarding TN 543 - Payphone Per Call Compensation Service. Explain with supporting rationale:
- Why TELUS considers it reasonable not to have to comply with the filing of a cost study to support the proposed rate increase for the Payphone Per Call Compensation (from $0.2630 to $0.5482).
- Why TELUS believes that using a proxy such as Bell Canada’s approved Payphone Per Call Compensation rate would be a more appropriate alternative to the filing of a cost study.
- Date modified: