Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2019-62
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 18 December 2018
Ottawa, 5 March 2019
Acadia Broadcasting Limited
Sioux Lookout and Hudson, Ontario
Public record for this application: 2018-1088-8
CKDR-2-FM Sioux Lookout – New transmitter in Hudson
- The Commission approves the application by Acadia Broadcasting Limited to amend the broadcasting licence for the radio programming undertaking CKDR-2-FM Sioux Lookout, Ontario, in order to operate a low-power transmitter in Hudson. The new transmitter will replace the low-power transmitter CKDR-3-AM Hudson. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.
- The new transmitter will operate at 97.5 MHz (channel 248LP) with an effective radiated power of 27 watts (non-directional antenna with an effective height of the antenna above average terrain of 16 metres).Footnote 1
- The licensee stated that its AM rebroadcasting transmitter is aging and needs to be replaced. The FM transmitter will provide the community with a higher quality signal.
- Pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry (the Department) notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
- The Department’s BPR-3: Application Procedures and Rules for FM Broadcasting Undertakings specifies that a low-power FM rebroadcasting transmitter is considered a secondary assignment operating on an unprotected channel. Should an FM station or transmitter with protected status be granted a frequency that is incompatible with that used by the low-power transmitter considered in this decision, the licensee may need to cease the operation of that low-power transmitter or file an application to change its frequency and/or technical parameters.
- The transmitter must be in operation by no later than 5 March 2021. To request an extension, the licensee must submit a written request to the Commission at least 60 days before that date, using the form available on the Commission’s website.
This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: