Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2019-406-2
References: 2019-406 and 2019-406-1
Ottawa, 21 April 2020
Public record: 1011-NOC2019-0406
Call for comments regarding potential barriers to the deployment of broadband-capable networks in underserved areas in Canada – Changes to procedure
- In Telecom Notice of Consultation 2019-406 (the notice), the Commission initiated a proceeding to examine barriers to the deployment of broadband-capable networks in underserved areas in Canada. On 20 December 2019, the Commission issued Telecom Notice of Consultation 2019-406-1, in which it revised the procedural dates set out in the notice.
- By letter dated 16 April 2020, the Canadian Electricity Association (CEA) requested a 14-day extension to the revised 23 April 2020 deadline for filing initial interventions.
Positions of parties
- The CEA submitted that the COVID-19 situation has caused major disruption to its members, and set back the association’s ability to conduct a full consultation of its members to meet the 23 April 2020 deadline.
- The Commission received interventions in support of the CEA’s request. Among them, on 17 April 2020, the Public Interest Advocacy Centre filed a letter in which it submitted that the requested extension was not long and was more likely to produce a more useful record for the Commission.
Commission’s analysis and determinations
- The Commission considers that, under the current circumstances, the additional 14-day extension to file interventions, as requested by the CEA, is reasonable.
- Further, the Commission is suspending the other procedural dates set out in Telecom Notice of Consultation 2019-406-1.
- In light of the above, the Commission amends the procedural dates set out in paragraphs 14 and 15 of the notice, as indicated below. For ease of reference, the changes are highlighted in bold italics:
- All TSPs are made parties to this proceeding and may file interventions with the Commission by 7 May 2020.
- Interested persons who wish to become parties to this proceeding must file an intervention with the Commission regarding the above-noted issues by 7 May 2020. The intervention must be filed in accordance with section 26 of the Rules of Procedure.
- Further processes will be announced via procedural letters and/or updates to the notice at future dates. Those processes will include amendments to the procedural dates set out in paragraphs 18, 19, 20, and 21 of the notice, as well as the dates by which parties are to file final submissions and final replies.
- Call for comments regarding potential barriers to the deployment of broadband-capable networks in underserved areas in Canada, Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2019-406, 10 December 2019; as amended by Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2019-406-1, 20 December 2019
- Date modified: