Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2019-364
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 15 July 2019
Ottawa, 4 November 2019
Société Radio Communautaire du Grand Edmonton Society
Public record for this application: 2019-0547-3
CFED-FM Edmonton – Technical changes
- The Commission approves the application by Société Radio Communautaire du Grand Edmonton Society (Société Radio Communautaire) to change the authorized contours of the French-language community radio programming undertaking CFED-FM Edmonton, Alberta, by changing the transmitter class from A1 to A, increasing the maximum effective radiated power (ERP) from 190 to 295 watts, the average ERP from 125 to 170 watts and the effective height of the antenna above average terrain from 0.87 to 40.3 metres, and updating the existing coordinates of the transmitter site. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application.
- Société Radio Communautaire indicated that, following the station’s launch, the authorized technical parameters proved unsatisfactory. Société Radio Communautaire therefore found a site further north and proposes implementing the proposed changes in order to resolve its broadcasting problems.
- Société Radio Communautaire indicated that the proposed changes represent the least expensive option and must be implemented for the station to be profitable.
- The Commission notes that CFED-FM is a French-language community radio station that serves an official language minority community in Edmonton.
- Pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
- The licensee must implement the technical changes by no later than 4 November 2021. To request an extension, the licensee must submit a written request to the Commission at least 60 days before that date, using the form available on the Commission’s website.
This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: