Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2019-301
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 21 May 2019
Ottawa, 23 August 2019
Base Commander of Canadian Forces in Suffield
Public record for this application: 2019-0347-7
CKBF-FM Suffield – New transmitter at Canadian Forces Base Suffield
- The Commission approves the application by the Base Commander of Canadian Forces in Suffield to amend the broadcasting licence for the non-commercial radio programming undertaking CKBF-FM Suffield, Alberta, to add an FM rebroadcasting transmitter (CBYK-FM-1) at Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Suffield. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application.
- The new transmitter will operate at 107.1 MHz (channel 296A) with an average effective radiated power (ERP) of 410 watts (maximum ERP of 920 watts with an effective height of the antenna above average terrain of 36.1 metres).
- The licensee expressed a desire to adequately serve British Armed Forces personnel and their dependants stationed at CFB Suffield by increasing the received signal strength at the base. The licensee claimed that the proposed transmitter will address existing inadequacies with CKBF-FM and enable Services Sound and Vision Corporation, a United Kingdom charity, to fulfill its intended purpose.
- Pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
- The transmitter must be in operation by no later than 23 August 2021. To request an extension, the licensee must submit a written request to the Commission at least 60 days before that date, using the form available on the Commission’s website.
This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: