Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2019-216
Reference: Part 1 licence renewal application and Part 1 application posted on 28 February 2019
Ottawa, 20 June 2019
Radio 1540 Limited
Public record for these applications: 2018-0896-6 and 2018-0898-2
CHIN-FM Toronto – Licence renewal and amendment
The Commission renews the broadcasting licence for the commercial ethnic radio station CHIN-FM Toronto from 1 September 2019 to 31 August 2026.
The Commission also approves the application to amend the station’s condition of licence relating to the minimum number of cultural groups served and the minimum number of languages broadcast by reducing the number of languages from 20 to 17.
- Radio 1540 Limited (Radio 1540) filed an application (2018-0896-6) to renew the broadcasting licence for the commercial ethnic radio station CHIN-FM Toronto, Ontario, which expires 31 August 2019.
- Radio 1540 also filed a separate application (2018-0898-2) to amend its condition of licence relating to the minimum number of cultural groups served and the minimum number of languages broadcast in order to reduce the number of languages from
20 to 17.
- Radio 1540 explained that it was not proposing to remove any programming in the languages currently offered by the station, but rather seeking the flexibility to remove programming from its schedule in the future if it deemed that it had not made an effective connection with the language groups to be served. It added that the amendment would give CHIN-FM the flexibility to adjust its program schedule in response to the degree of support shown by local ethnic communities, allowing the station to improve the overall quality of its programming and respond more effectively to an increasingly competitive environment. Finally, it submitted that allowing CHIN-FM to provide programming in 17 rather than 20 languages while continuing to serve at least 23 different ethnic groups would allow it to achieve a better balance between the objectives of serving as many groups as possible and providing high-quality programming to the groups served, as set out in Ethnic broadcasting policy, Public Notice CRTC 1999-117, 16 July 1999 (the Ethnic Policy).
- The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding these applications.
Commission’s analysis and decision
- As set out in the Ethnic Policy, the number of ethnic groups served and languages in which programming is provided by an ethnic radio station is determined by the demographics of the community, the services already available and the degree of support shown by local community organizations. As such, there is no established minimum number of ethnic groups that must be served and languages broadcast by an ethnic radio station. The Ethnic Policy also states that a balance may be struck between the two priorities of serving as many groups as practical and providing high-quality programming to those groups that are served.
- Radio 1540’s request would represent a slight decrease in the number of languages broadcast by CHIN-FM. As such, the station would maintain a fairly high level of diversity of cultural groups and languages and would continue to meet the broad service requirements of the Ethnic Policy. The amendment would also provide the station with more flexibility to adjust its programming to reflect the needs of the market. Accordingly, the Commission approves Radio 1540’s application
(2018-0898-2) to amend its condition of licence relating to the minimum number of languages broadcast by reducing the number from 20 to 17.
- Further, the Commission renews the broadcasting licence for the commercial ethnic radio programming undertaking CHIN-FM Toronto from 1 September 2019 to 31 August 2026. The terms and conditions of licence are set out in the appendix to this decision.
- Pursuant to section 22 of the Broadcasting Act, the broadcasting licence renewed in this decision will cease to have any force or effect if the broadcasting certificate issued by the Department of Industry lapses.
This decision is to be appended to the licence.
Appendix to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2019-216
Terms, conditions of licence, expectation and encouragement for the commercial ethnic radio programming undertaking
CHIN-FM Toronto, Ontario
The licence will expire 31 August 2026.
Conditions of licence
- The licensee shall adhere to the conditions set out in Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009, as well as to the conditions set out in the licence for the undertaking.
- The licensee shall broadcast programming directed to at least 23 cultural groups in at least 17 different languages in each broadcast week.
The Commission expects the licensee to reflect the cultural diversity of Canada in its programming and employment practices.
In accordance with Implementation of an employment equity policy, Public Notice CRTC 1992-59, 1 September 1992, the Commission encourages the licensee to consider employment equity issues in their hiring practices and in all other aspects of their management of human resources.
- Date modified: