Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2019-210
Reference: Part 1 licence renewal application and Part 1 application posted on 28 February 2019
Ottawa, 13 June 2019
Rogers Media Inc.
Victoria, British Columbia
Public record for these applications: 2018-0723-1 and 2018-0727-3
CIOC-FM Victoria – Licence renewal and amendment
The Commission renews the broadcasting licence for the English-language commercial radio station CIOC-FM Victoria from 1 September 2019 to 31 August 2026.
- Rogers Media Inc. (Rogers) filed an application (2018-0723-1) to renew the broadcasting licence for the English-language commercial radio station CIOC-FM Victoria, British Columbia, which expires 31 August 2019.
- Rogers also filed a separate application (2018-0727-3) to delete its condition of licence prohibiting the station from soliciting advertising in the Vancouver market. Rogers indicated that the amendment was not necessary for the financial viability of the station and would not impact its financial projections. It added that the prohibition was not relevant as CIOC-FM does not solicit advertising in the Vancouver market, where its signal does not reach. Consequently, Rogers submitted that the deletion of the condition of licence would have no financial impact on other stations in the market.
- The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding these applications.
Commission’s analysis and decision
- Given that CIOC-FM’s primary contour does not extend into the Vancouver market and that its secondary contour only reaches the outer boundary of Greater Vancouver, the Commission considers that the proposed licence amendment would not have an undue impact on existing stations. Accordingly, the Commission approves Rogers’ application (2018-0727-3) to delete the station’s condition of licence prohibiting the station from soliciting advertising in the Vancouver market.
- Further, the Commission renews the broadcasting licence for the English-language commercial radio programming undertaking CIOC-FM Victoria, British Columbia, from 1 September 2019 to 31 August 2026. The licensee shall adhere to the conditions set out in Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009, as well as to the conditions set out in the licence for the undertaking.
- Pursuant to section 22 of the Broadcasting Act, the broadcasting licence renewed in this decision will cease to have any force or effect if the broadcasting certificate issued by the Department of Industry lapses.
- The Commission expects the licensee to reflect the cultural diversity of Canada in its programming and employment practices.
- Because this licensee is subject to the Employment Equity Act and files reports concerning employment equity with the Department of Employment and Social Development, its employment equity practices are not examined by the Commission.
This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: