Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2019-201
References: Part 1 licence renewal applications posted on 28 February 2019
Ottawa, 10 June 2019
Various locations across Canada
Public record for these applications: 2018-0716-6, 2018-0717-4, 2018-0718-2, 2018-0719-0, 2018-0720-8, 2018-0721-5 and 2018-0722-3
Various commercial radio stations – Licence renewals
- The Commission renews the broadcasting licences for the commercial radio programming undertakings set out below from 1 September 2019 to 31 August 2026. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding these applications.
Licensee Call sign and location Application Bell Media Inc. CHIK-FM Québec, Quebec 2018-0716-6 Bell Media Inc. and 8384819 Canada Inc., partners in a general partnership carrying on business as Bell Media Regional Radio Partnership CFRW Winnipeg, Manitoba 2018-0717-4 CFWM-FM Winnipeg, Manitoba 2018-0718-2 CIOO-FM Halifax, Nova Scotia 2018-0719-0 CFLY-FM Kingston, Ontario 2018-0720-8 CJPT-FM Brockville, Ontario 2018-0721-5 CKKL-FM Ottawa, Ontario 2018-0722-3
- The licensees shall adhere to the conditions set out in the broadcasting licences for the undertakings, the conditions set out in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2009-62, and the following condition of licence:Footnote 1
The licensee shall provide commercially reasonable access to advertising availabilities to unrelated operators of broadcasting undertakings and telecommunications service providers.
- In regard to CFRW Winnipeg, the licensee shall also adhere to the following condition of licence:
As an exception to the percentage of Canadian musical selections set out in sections 2.2(8) and 2.2(9) of the Radio Regulations, 1986, in any broadcast week where at least 90% of musical selections broadcast are selections released before 1 January 1981, the licensee shall devote 30% or more of its musical selections from content category 2 (Popular Music) in that broadcast week and between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. from Monday to Friday of the same broadcast week to Canadian selections broadcast in their entirety.
The licensee is responsible for specifying the year of release for all musical selections it broadcasts on the music lists it provides to the Commission.
For the purposes of this condition, the terms “broadcast week,” “content category” and “musical selection” shall have the meanings set out in section 2 of the Radio Regulations, 1986.
- Finally, in regard to CFWM-FM Winnipeg, the licensee shall also adhere to the following condition of licence:
The licensee is relieved from the requirement of section 10.1 of the Radio Regulations, 1986 that it own and operate its transmitter. The Commission expects the licensee to retain full control of its undertaking at all times, including control of its programming, transmission and scheduling.
- Pursuant to section 22 of the Broadcasting Act, the broadcasting licences renewed in this decision will cease to have any force or effect if the broadcasting certificates issued by the Department of Industry lapse.
- The Commission reminds Bell Media Inc. of the commitments made regarding reporting requirements for CHIK-FM Québec, set out in Appendix 5 to Broadcasting Decision 2013-310, relating to the Bell Media Indie Artist Initiative and to devoting French-language vocal musical selections to selections from Canadian emerging artists.
- The Commission reminds Bell Media Inc. and 8384819 Canada Inc., partners in a general partnership carrying on business as Bell Media Regional Radio Partnership, of the commitments made regarding reporting requirements for CFLY-FM Kingston and CIOO-FM Halifax, set out in Appendix 5 to Broadcasting Decision 2013-310, relating to devoting Canadian musical selections to selections from Canadian emerging artists.
- The Commission expects the licensees to reflect the cultural diversity of Canada in their programming and employment practices.
- Because these licensees are subject to the Employment Equity Act and file reports concerning employment equity with the Department of Employment and Social Development, their employment equity practices are not examined by the Commission.
- Astral broadcasting undertakings – Change of effective control, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2013-310, 27 June 2013
- Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009
This decision is to be appended to each licence.
- Date modified: