Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2019-178
References: Part 1 licence renewal applications posted on 28 February 2019
Ottawa, 27 May 2019
Stingray Radio Inc.
Public record for these applications: 2018-0458-4, 2018-0457-6, 2018-0455-0, 2018-0453-4, 2018-0452-6, 2018-0454-2 and 2018-0456-8
Various commercial radio stations – Licence renewals
- The Commission renews the broadcasting licences for the English-language commercial radio programming undertakings listed below from 1 September 2019 to 31 August 2026. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding these applications. The terms and conditions of licence for these stations are set out in the appendix to this decision.
Call sign and location Application CFXW-FM Whitecourt and CFXW-FM-1 Fox Creek, Alberta 2018-0458-4 CKKY-FM Wainwright, Alberta 2018-0457-6 CFRK-FM Fredericton, New Brunswick 2018-0455-0 CKLN-FM Clarenville, Newfoundland and Labrador 2018-0453-4 CFRQ-FM Dartmouth, Nova Scotia 2018-0452-6 CKUL-FM Halifax, Nova Scotia 2018-0454-2 CIHT-FM Ottawa, Ontario 2018-0456-8
- Stingray must pay any remaining tangible benefits stemming from the ownership transaction approved in Various radio and television broadcasting undertakings – Change in ownership and effective control, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2018-404, 23 October 2018, as well as all outstanding tangible benefits and Canadian content development (CCD) contribution commitments listed in that decision. Further, the licensee must file, by 30 November following the end of the each broadcast year, in a form deemed acceptable by the Commission, proof of payment for the tangible benefits and CCD contributions paid each broadcast year.
- Pursuant to section 22 of the Broadcasting Act, the broadcasting licences renewed in this decision will cease to have any force or effect if the broadcasting certificates issued by the Department of Industry lapse.
- Because this licensee is subject to the Employment Equity Act and files reports concerning employment equity with the Department of Employment and Social Development, its employment equity practices are not examined by the Commission.
This decision is to be appended to each licence.
Appendix to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2019-178
Terms, conditions of licence and expectation for the commercial radio programming undertakings for which the broadcasting licences have been renewed in this decision
The licences will expire 31 August 2026.
Conditions of licence applicable to all stations
- The licensee shall adhere to the conditions of licence set out in Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009, as well as to the conditions set out in the broadcasting licence for the undertaking.
Additional condition of licence applicable to CIHT-FM Ottawa
- As an exception to the percentage of Canadian musical selections set out in the Radio Regulations, 1986 (the Regulations), the licensee shall devote to Canadian selections 40% or more of its musical selections from content category 2 (Popular Music) during the broadcast week and between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. in any period beginning on Monday and ending on Friday of the same week.
For the purposes of this condition, the terms “broadcast week,” “Canadian selection,” “content category” and “musical selection” shall have the same meanings as those set out in the Regulations.
Additional condition of licence applicable to CKKY-FM Wainwright
- To fulfill its outstanding commitments to Canadian content development (CCD) set out in the appendix to CKKY Wainwright – Conversion to the FM band; CKWY-FM Wainwright – Technical change, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2013-196, 23 April 2013, the licensee shall contribute $5,000 by 31 August 2020 (2019-2020 broadcast year). This contribution is in addition to the basic CCD contributions required under section 15 of the Radio Regulations, 1986.
Of this amount, the licensee shall allocate at least 20% to FACTOR. The remainder shall be allocated to parties and initiatives fulfilling the definition of eligible initiatives set out in paragraph 108 of Commercial Radio Policy 2006, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2006-158, 15 December 2006.
Additional condition of licence applicable to CKLN-FM Clarenville
- To fulfill its outstanding commitments to Canadian content development (CCD) set out in the appendix to English-language FM radio station in Clarenville, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2013-233, 9 May 2013, the licensee shall contribute $5,000 in each of the following broadcast years: 2019-2020, 2020-2021 and 2021-2022. This contribution is in addition to the basic CCD contributions required under section 15 of the Radio Regulations, 1986.
Of these amounts, the licensee shall allocate at least 20% per broadcast year to FACTOR or MUSICACTION. The remainder shall be allocated to parties and initiatives fulfilling the definition of eligible initiatives set out in paragraph 108 of Commercial Radio Policy 2006, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2006-158, 15 December 2006.
Expectation applicable to all stations
The Commission expects the licensee to reflect the cultural diversity of Canada in its programming and employment practices.
- Date modified: