Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2019-155
References: Part 1 licence renewal applications posted on 28 February 2019
Ottawa, 16 May 2019
Various locations in British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick and Newfoundland and Labrador
Public record for these applications: 2018-0503-7, 2018-0635-8, 2018-0704-1, 2018-0988-1, 2018-0829-7, 2018-0843-7, 2018-0881-7, 2018-0616-8, 2018-0636-6, 2018-0613-4, 2018-0831-2, 2018-0817-2, 2018-0815-6, 2018-0489-9, 2018-0556-6 and 2018-0832-0
Various campus and community radio stations – Licence renewals
- The Commission renews the broadcasting licences for the campus and community radio programming undertakings listed below from 1 September 2019 to 31 August 2026. The terms and conditions of licence for these stations are set out in the appendix to this decision.
Licensee Call sign and location Application Assiniboine Campus-Community Radio Society Inc. CJJJ-FM Brandon, Manitoba 2018-0503-7 Société radio communautaire Victoria CILS-FM Victoria, British Columbia 2018-0635-8 Concordia Student Broadcasting Corporation CJLO Montréal, Quebec 2018-0704-1 La radio communautaire de LaSalle CKVL-FM Montréal (Lasalle), Quebec 2018-0988-1 Diffusion communautaire Baie-des-Chaleurs inc. CIEU-FM Carleton and CIEU-FM-1 Paspébiac, Quebec 2018-0829-7 Radio Beauséjour inc. CJSE-FM Shediac, CJSE-FM-1 Memramcook and CJSE-FM-2 Baie Sainte-Anne, New Brunswick 2018-0843-7 Radio communautaire de Radisson CIAU-FM Radisson, Quebec 2018-0881-7 Nostalgia Broadcasting Cooperative Inc. CJNU-FM Winnipeg, Manitoba 2018-0616-8 Smithers Community Radio Society CICK-FM Smithers, British Columbia 2018-0636-6 Voice of the Shuswap Broadcast Society CKVS-FM Salmon Arm, British Columbia 2018-0613-4 Radio Bell Island Inc. CJBI-FM Bell Island, Newfoundland and Labrador 2018-0831-2 Radio communautaire de l’Estrie CFLX-FM Sherbrooke, Quebec 2018-0817-2 Radio Shawinigan inc. CFUT-FM Shawinigan, Quebec 2018-0815-6 WhiStle Community Radio CIWS-FM Whitchurch-Stouffville, Ontario 2018-0489-9 La Coopérative Radiophonique de Toronto inc. CHOQ-FM Toronto, Ontario 2018-0556-6 Radio Beauséjour inc. CFBO-FM Moncton, New Brunswick 2018-0832-0
- The Commission received interventions in support of the applications by Smithers Community Radio Society, WhiStle Community Radio, Concordia Student Broadcasting Corporation, Nostalgia Broadcasting Cooperative Inc., Voice of the Shuswap Broadcast Society and Assiniboine Campus-Community Radio Society Inc.
- Pursuant to section 22 of the Broadcasting Act, the broadcasting licences renewed in this decision will cease to have any force or effect if the broadcasting certificates issued by the Department of Industry lapse.
This decision is to be appended to each licence.
Appendix to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2019-155
Terms, conditions of licence, expectations and encouragement for the campus and community radio programming undertakings renewed in this decision
The licence will expire 31 August 2026.
Conditions of licence applicable to all stations
- The licensee shall adhere to the conditions set out in Standard conditions of licence for campus and community radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2012-304, 22 May 2012, as well as to the conditions set out in the broadcasting licence for the undertaking.
Additional condition of licence applicable to CFUT-FM Shawinigan and CIWS-FM Whitchurch-Stouffville
- Where the licensee broadcasts religious programming as defined in Religious Broadcasting Policy, Public Notice CRTC 1993-78, 3 June 1993, the licensee shall adhere to the guidelines set out in sections III.B.2.a) and IV of that public notice with respect to the provision of balance and ethics in religious programming.
Additional conditions of licence applicable to CHOQ-FM Toronto
- The licensee shall devote all of its programming to French-language community radio programming oriented primarily to the various French-language communities in the Greater Toronto Area.
- In each broadcast week, the licensee shall devote to French-language musical selections broadcast in their entirety at least 70% of musical selections from content category 2 (Popular Music), as defined in Revised content categories and subcategories for radio, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2010-819, 5 November 2010.
Additional conditions of licence applicable to CJSE-FM Shediac, CJSE-FM-1 Memramcook and CJSE-FM-2 Baie Sainte-Anne
- In each broadcast week, the licensee shall devote at least 8% of the musical selections broadcast to selections drawn from content category 3 (Special Interest Music), as defined in Revised content categories and subcategories for radio, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2010-819, 5 November 2010.
- In each broadcast week, the licensee shall devote at least 34% of all musical selections broadcast to English-language vocal musical selections.
Expectations applicable to all stations
The Commission expects the licensee to reflect the cultural diversity of Canada in its programming and employment practices.
As set out in Campus and community radio policy, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2010-499, 22 July 2010, the Commission expects all community and campus licensees to file yearly updates on the composition of their board of directors. These annual updates can be submitted at the time of submission of annual returns, following annual board of directors’ elections or at any other time. As noted in Appendix 3 to that regulatory policy, licensees may submit such information through the Commission’s website.
Encouragement applicable to all stations
The Commission considers that campus and community radio stations should be particularly sensitive to employment equity issues in order to fully reflect the communities they serve. The Commission encourages the licensee to consider these issues in its hiring practices and in all other aspects of its management of human resources.
- Date modified: