Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2019-150
Reference: Part 1 licence renewal applications posted on 28 February 2019
Ottawa, 15 May 2019
My Broadcasting Corporation
Alliston and Pembroke, Ontario
Public record for these applications: 2018-0697-8 and 2018-0699-4
CIMA-FM Alliston and CIMY-FM Pembroke – Licence renewals
- The Commission renews the broadcasting licences for the commercial radio programming undertakings set out in the appendix to this decision from 1 September 2019 to 31 August 2026. The terms and conditions of licence are set out in the appendix to this decision. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding these applications.
- Pursuant to section 22 of the Broadcasting Act, the broadcasting licences renewed in this decision will cease to have any force or effect if the broadcasting certificates issued by the Department of Industry lapse.
- Because this licensee is subject to the Employment Equity Act and files reports concerning employment equity with the Department of Employment and Social Development, its employment equity practices are not examined by the Commission.
This decision is to be appended to each licence.
Appendix to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2019-150
Terms, conditions of licence and expectation for the commercial radio programming undertakings CIMA-FM Alliston and CIMY-FM Pembroke, Ontario
The licences will expire 31 August 2026.
Conditions of licence applicable to both stations
- The licensee shall adhere to the conditions set out in Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009, as well as to the conditions set out in the licences for the undertakings.
- As an exception to the percentage of Canadian musical selections set out in sections 2.2(8) and 2.2(9) of the Radio Regulations, 1986 (the Regulations), the licensee shall devote at least 38% of its musical selections from content category 2 (Popular Music) broadcast in any broadcast week and between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. from Monday to Friday to Canadian selections broadcast in their entirety.
For the purposes of this condition, the terms “broadcast week,” “Canadian selection,” “content category” and “musical selection” shall have the meaning set out in the Regulations.
Additional condition of licence for CIMA-FM Alliston
- To fulfill its outstanding commitments to Canadian content development (CCD) set out in the appendix to English-language FM radio station in Alliston, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2012-491, 12 September 2012, the licensee shall make a CCD contributions of $500 in the 2019-2020 broadcast year (i.e. by 31 August 2020). This contribution is in addition to the required basic annual contribution to CCD set out in section 15 of the Radio Regulations, 1986.
The licensee shall allocate at least 20% of this amount to FACTOR or MUSICACTION. The remainder shall be allocated to parties and initiatives fulfilling the definition of eligible initiatives set out in paragraph 108 of Commercial Radio Policy 2006, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2006-158, 15 December 2006.
The Commission expects the licensee to reflect the cultural diversity of Canada in its programming and employment practices.
- Date modified: