Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2019-146
Reference: Part 1 licence renewal applications posted on 28 February 2019
Ottawa, 14 May 2019
Rogers Media Inc.
Various locations across Canada
Public records for these applications: 2018-0703-3, 2018-0705-9, 2018-0706-7, 2018-0707-5, 2018-0708-3, 2018-0709-1, 2018-0710-9, 2018-0711-6, 2018-0712-4 and 2018-0714-0
Various commercial radio stations – Licence renewals
- The Commission renews the broadcasting licences for the commercial radio programming undertakings set out below from 1 September 2019 to 31 August 2026.
Call sign and location Application CFLT-FM Dartmouth, Nova Scotia 2018-0703-3 CHAS-FM Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario 2018-0705-9 CHEZ-FM Ottawa, Ontario 2018-0706-7 CITI-FM Winnipeg, Manitoba 2018-0707-5 CJMX-FM Sudbury, Ontario 2018-0708-3 CJNI-FM Halifax, Nova Scotia 2018-0709-1 CJQM-FM Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario 2018-0710-9 CJRQ-FM Sudbury, Ontario 2018-0711-6 CKBY-FM Smiths Falls, Ontario 2018-0712-4 CKFX-FM North Bay, Ontario 2018-0714-0
- The terms and conditions of licence are set out in the appendix to this decision. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding these applications.
- Pursuant to section 22 of the Broadcasting Act, the broadcasting licences renewed in this decision will cease to have any force or effect if the broadcasting certificates issued by the Department of Industry lapse.
- Because this licensee is subject to the Employment Equity Act and files reports concerning employment equity with the Department of Employment and Social Development, its employment equity practices are not examined by the Commission.
This decision is to be appended to each licence.
Appendix to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2019-146
Term, conditions of licence and expectation for the commercial radio programming undertakings renewed in this decision
The licences will expire 31 August 2026.
Conditions of licence applicable to all stations
- The licensee shall adhere to the conditions set out in Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009, with the exception of condition of licence 7 as it relates to CJNI-FM Halifax, as well as to the conditions set out in the licences for the undertakings.
Additional condition of licence applicable to CHAS-FM Sault Ste. Marie
- During each broadcast week, the licensee must broadcast at least 28 hours of local programming, as defined in Commercial Radio Policy 2006, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2006-158, 15 December 2006.
Additional conditions of licence applicable to CJNI-FM Halifax
- The licensee shall operate the station within the specialty format as defined in A review of certain matters concerning radio, Public Notice CRTC 1995-60, 21 April 1995, and Revised content categories and subcategories for radio, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2010-819, 5 November 2010.
- The licensee shall ensure that at least 50% of all programming broadcast during each broadcast week consists of material from content category 1 (Spoken Word).
- The licensee shall ensure that no more than 10% of all programming broadcast each broadcast week consists of musical selections.
Additional condition of licence applicable to CJQM-FM Sault Ste. Marie and CKFX-FM North Bay
- The licensee shall broadcast no more than 30 minutes of French-language content consisting exclusively of advertising material during each week.
The Commission expects the licensee to reflect the cultural diversity of Canada in its programming and employment practices.
- Date modified: