Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2019-144
Reference: Part 1 licence renewal applications posted on 28 February 2019
Ottawa, 14 May 2019
Maritime Broadcasting System Limited
Public records for these applications: 2018-0622-5, 2018-0623-3, 2018-0624-1, 2018-0625-9, 2018-0626-7, 2018-0627-5, 2018-0628-3, 2018-0629-1, 2018-0631-6 and 2018-0632-4
Various commercial radio programming undertakings – Licence renewals
- The Commission renews the broadcasting licences for the commercial radio programming undertakings set out in the appendix to this decision from 1 September 2019 to 31 August 2026. The terms and conditions of licence are set out in the appendix to this decision. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding these applications.
- Pursuant to section 22 of the Broadcasting Act, the broadcasting licences renewed in this decision will cease to have any force or effect if the broadcasting certificates issued by the Department of Industry lapse.
- Because this licensee is subject to the Employment Equity Act and files reports concerning employment equity with the Department of Employment and Social Development, its employment equity practices are not examined by the Commission.
This decision is to be appended to each licence.
Appendix to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2019-144
Term, conditions of licence and expectation for the commercial radio programming undertakings CHLQ-FM Charlottetown and CJRW-FM Summerside, Prince Edward Island, CHFX-FM Halifax, CJCB Sydney, CKAD Middleton, CKEN-FM Kentville, CKPE-FM Sydney and CFAB Windsor, Nova Scotia and CFBC and CJYC-FM Saint John, New Brunswick
The licences will expire 31 August 2026.
Conditions of licence
- The licensee shall adhere to the conditions set out in Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009, as well as to the conditions set out in the licence for the undertaking.
Additional condition of licence for CFBC Saint John, New Brunswick
- As an exception to the percentage of Canadian musical selections set out in sections 2.2(8) and 2.2(9) of the Radio Regulations, 1986 (the Regulations), in any broadcast week where at least 90% of musical selections broadcast are selections released before 1 January 1981, the licensee shall devote 30% or more of its musical selections from content category 2 (Popular Music) in that broadcast week and between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. from Monday to Friday of the same broadcast week to Canadian selections broadcast in their entirety.
The licensee is responsible for specifying the year of release for all musical selections it broadcasts on the music lists it provides to the Commission.
For purposes of this condition, the terms “broadcast week,” “content category” and “musical selection” shall have the meaning set out in section 2 of the Regulations.
The Commission expects the licensee to reflect the cultural diversity of Canada in its programming and employment practices.
- Date modified: