Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2019-139
Reference: Part 1 licence renewal applications posted on 28 February 2019
Ottawa, 13 May 2019
Golden West Broadcasting Ltd.
Steinbach, Manitoba and Lacombe, Alberta
Public record for these applications: 2018-0638-2 and 2018-0641-5
CILT-FM Steinbach and CJUV-FM Lacombe – Licence renewals
- The Commission renews the broadcasting licences for the commercial radio programming undertakings set out in the appendix to this decision from 1 September 2019 to 31 August 2026. The terms and conditions of licence are set out in the appendix to this decision. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding these applications.
- Pursuant to section 22 of the Broadcasting Act, the broadcasting licences renewed in this decision will cease to have any force or effect if the broadcasting certificates issued by the Department of Industry lapse.
- The licensee must fulfill all the remaining tangible benefits resulting from CJUV-FM Lacombe – Acquisition of assets, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2015-570, 21 December 2015.
- The Commission expects the licensee to reflect the cultural diversity of Canada in its programming and employment practices.
- Because this licensee is subject to the Employment Equity Act and files reports concerning employment equity with the Department of Employment and Social Development, its employment equity practices are not examined by the Commission.
This decision is to be appended to each licence.
Appendix to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2019-139
Term and conditions of licence for the commercial radio programming undertakings CILT-FM Steinbach, Manitoba and CJUV-FM Lacombe, Alberta
The licences will expire 31 August 2026.
Conditions of licence applicable to both stations
- The licensee shall adhere to the conditions set out in Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009, as well as to the conditions set out in the licence for the undertaking.
Additional condition of licence for CILT-FM Steinbach
- The licensee shall ensure that at least 33% of all musical selections broadcast in each broadcast week are devoted to selections drawn from content categories other than subcategories 21 (Pop, rock and dance) and 22 (Country and country-oriented).
Additional conditions of licence for CJUV-FM Lacombe
- The licensee shall refrain from soliciting local advertising in Red Deer, Alberta.
- As an exception to the percentage of Canadian musical selections set out in sections 2.2(8) and 2.2(9) of the Radio Regulations, 1986 (the Regulations), the licensee shall devote at least 40% of its musical selections from content category 2 (Popular Music) broadcast in any broadcast week and between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. from Monday to Friday to Canadian selections broadcast in their entirety.
For the purposes of this condition, the terms “broadcast week,” “Canadian selection,” “content category” and “musical selection” shall have the same meaning as set out in the Regulations.
- If the licensee broadcasts religious programming as defined in Religious Broadcasting Policy, Public Notice CRTC 1993-78, 3 June 1993, the licensee shall adhere to the guidelines set out in sections III.B.2.a) and IV of that public notice with respect to the provision of balance and ethics in religious programming.
- Date modified: