Telecom Decision CRTC 2019-129
Ottawa, 3 May 2019
Public record: 1011-NOC2018-0236
Relief for area codes 306 and 639 in Saskatchewan
The Commission determines that relief for area codes 306 and 639 in Saskatchewan is to be provided by implementing a distributed overlay of new area code 474, effective 2 October 2021. In addition, the Commission also approves the 306/639 relief planning committee’s report, including the proposed planning document and relief implementation plan.
- On 1 March 2018, the Canadian Numbering Administrator (CNA)Footnote 1 advised the Commission that, based on the results of the latest numbering resource utilization forecast (NRUF),Footnote 2 area codes 306 and 639 were projected to exhaust by June 2022. These area codes cover the province of Saskatchewan.
- The Commission subsequently issued Telecom Notice of Consultation 2018-236, in which it established a CRTC Interconnection Steering Committee (CISC)Footnote 3 ad hoc relief planning committee to examine options and make recommendations for providing additional numbering resources in the area served by area codes 306 and 639 (the 306/639 relief planning committee). The Commission directed the CNA to chair the committee.
- In May 2018, the CNA conducted a relief NRUF, the results of which indicated that the projected exhaust date for area codes 306 and 639 had changed to September 2022.
- On 20 February 2019, the Commission received a consensus report (306_639RE01A) from the 306/639 relief planning committee. The report included a planning document and a relief implementation plan. These documents are available on the CNA’s website.
- In the planning document, the 306/639 relief planning committee recommended that
- area code relief be provided by implementing a distributed overlay of a new area code on the area served by area codes 306 and 639;
- area code 474 be used as the new area code; and
- the relief date be 2 October 2021.
- In the relief implementation plan, the 306/639 relief planning committee proposed a public framework and time frame for implementing relief for the area served by area codes 306 and 639. The committee also addressed the activities, deliverables, and issues affecting more than one telecommunications service provider (TSP).
- The 306/639 relief planning committee requested that the Commission approve the report, including the planning document and the relief implementation plan.
Should the Commission approve the report?
- In the planning document, the 306/639 relief planning committee evaluated nine relief options: a distributed overlay and eight concentrated overlay options.
- The distributed overlay option would introduce a new area code as an overlay on all 228 exchanges in area codes 306 and 639, and would exhaust in 2048. The concentrated overlays would each overlay a new area code on different geographical areas covering specific exchange areas.
- The Commission considers that implementing concentrated overlays would increase the number of separate relief planning areas in Saskatchewan from one to two, which would, in the future, cause additional work since the geographical areas would exhaust at different dates and would require separate relief plans.
- Accordingly, the Commission determines that the entire area served by area codes 306 and 639 is to be overlaid with a new area code.
Relief area code
- In Telecom Decision 2010-784, the Commission set aside area code 474 for future relief of the area served by area code 306. The Commission therefore determines that area code 474 is to be used for the relief of area codes 306 and 639.
- The Commission considers that the proposed relief implementation date of 2 October 2021 will provide customers and TSPs with sufficient notification and time to implement relief before the projected exhaustion in September 2022. Accordingly, the Commission determines that relief will take effect on 2 October 2021.
Relief implementation plan
- The relief implementation plan includes a schedule for relief implementation as well as the network and consumer communications activities that would need to be completed as part of the relief implementation process. The Commission considers that the relief implementation plan includes steps that are consistent with the steps identified in the Commission-approved Canadian NPAFootnote 4 Relief Planning Guidelines and sets out implementation timelines that TSPs can follow to meet the relief implementation date. Accordingly, the Commission finds that the relief implementation plan is appropriate.
- In light of all the above, the Commission approves the 306/639 relief planning committee’s report, including the proposed planning document and relief implementation plan, and determines that
- the region served by area codes 306 and 639 is to be overlaid with a new area code, effective 2 October 2021; and
- area code 474 is to be used for area code relief.
- Establishment of a CISC ad hoc committee for relief planning for area codes 306 and 639 in Saskatchewan, Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2018-236, 11 July 2018
- CRTC Interconnection Steering Committee consensus item – Reservation of area codes for future area code relief, Telecom Decision CRTC 2010-784, 22 October 2010
- Date modified: