Telecom Procedural Letter Addressed to Stan Thompson (Northwestel Inc.)
Ottawa, 26 November 2018
Our reference: 8740-N1-201809667
Mr. Stan Thompson
Chief Financial Officer & Vice-President, Corporate Services
301 Lambert St., Box 2727 3rd Floor
Whitehorse, Yukon Territory Y1A4Y4
Re: Tariff Notice 1032 – Private Wire Service Tariff, Mobile Fibre Backhaul service
On 15 November 2018, the Commission received an application from Northwestel in which the company proposed changes to Item 1125 – Mobile Fibre Backhaul service to, among other things, expand the availability of the service to all exchanges in Nunavut.
Paragraph 28(1) (a) of the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission Rules of Practice and Procedure provides that the Commission may require parties to file information or documents where needed.
Northwestel is requested to provide comprehensive answers, including rationale and any supporting information, to the attached questions by 4 December 2018.
Original signed by
Director, Dispute Resolution & Regulatory Implementation
c.c.: Joanne Baldassi, CRTC, 819-997-3498, firstname.lastname@example.org
Wendy Ellis, Bell Aliant, email@example.com
Requests for information
- Refer to Northwestel’s report on the Economic Evaluation for Mobile Fibre Backhaul Service, 8 November 2018, Page 2 of the Appendix. The price floor test includes information on base connectivity and remote access for communities in Nunavut.
- Confirm whether the price floor test includes the one-time service charges.
- If the one-time service charges are not included, provide a revised price floor test which includes these service charges in Nunavut communities.
- Refer to Page 2 of the TN 1032 Appendix and to the revised Table 2 of Appendix A from Northwestel’s previous filing for Mobile Fibre Backhaul Service under TN 946. Given that the Mobile Fibre Backhaul Service being provided in Nunavut communities is identical to that already being provided in the other communities, explain, with supporting rationale:
- why higher mark-ups for base connectivity and remote access are proposed in Nunavut communities compared to the mark-ups for base connectivity and remote access in Whitehorse and Yellowknife communities.
- Refer to the Economic Evaluation for Mobile Fibre Backhaul Service, Page 9, section 220.127.116.11 Other. Northwestel has included an estimate of product management time associated with ongoing operation and management of the service.
The proposed tariff page accompanying the application, page 229A, indicates that in addition to new monthly recurring charges for Nunavut communities, Northwestel is also introducing new one-time service charges in these exchanges that differ from those in the existing exchanges of Whitehorse and Yellowknife.
Provide details regarding the activities Northwestel included in this estimate, in order to justify how these hours were estimated. Explain why these costs are required on an annual basis.
- Date modified: