ARCHIVED - Telecom Commission Letter Addressed to Mr. Dallas Yeulett (Northwestel)
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Ottawa, 20 April 2018
Our reference: 8661-N1-201800863
Mr. Dallas Yeulett
Senior Manager, Regulatory Compliance
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 4Y4
Re: Part 1 application requesting ratification of Special Services Tariff (SST) rates
On 8 February 2018, the Commission received an application by Northwestel, in which the company requested ratification of rates charged without an approved tariff for certain Special Services Tariffs (SSTs).
Paragraph 28(1) (a) of the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission Rules of Practice and Procedure provides that the Commission may require parties to file information or documents where needed.
Northwestel is requested to provide comprehensive answers, including rationale and any supporting information, to the attached questions by 3 May 2018.
Original signed by
Director, Dispute Resolution & Regulatory Implementation
c. c. Joanne Baldassi, CRTC, 819-997-3498, firstname.lastname@example.org
Wendy Ellis, Bell Aliant, email@example.com
Requests for information
In its application, Northwestel identified that nine SSTs have been offered without an approved tariff for varying lengths of times. Northwestel noted that tariff notices have been filed and approved by the Commission for all of these SSTs, and that these SSTs are now being offered in compliance with the company’s approved tariffs. The company also indicated that due to administrative errors certain rates/conditions charged for these SSTs in the past were not immediately reflected in the applicable tariffs. In all cases, Northwestel indicated that the affected customers were notified and agreed with the rates charged for these services. The company requested ratification of the rates charged without an approved tariff.
Pursuant to subsection 25(4) of the Telecommunications Act (the Act), the Commission may ratify the charging of a rate by a Canadian carrier otherwise than in accordance with a tariff approved by the Commission if it is satisfied that the rate was charged because of an error or other circumstance that warrants the ratification.
- For each of the SSTs, Northwestel is requested to:
- identify the customer(s) and the locations where the service is provided;
- please advise if this application has been served on each of these customers. If not, please explain why;
- identify whether the customer requested competitive bids for the special services arrangement;
- confirm the total amount, including usage and installation charges, for which ratification is requested, providing details of the calculations and dates involved and ensuring that the amount does not include rates and charges after the effective date the tariff was approved;
- confirm when and how Northwestel first became aware that it was offering the service other than in accordance with an approved tariff; and
- explain how these actions contrary to the Act which were repeated over a significant period of time, resulting in a significant financial impact, could be considered an “error or other circumstance that warrants ratification” under subsection 25(4) of the Act.
- For Item 779, identify the portion of the amount calculated in 1.d) above that relates to the period 1 January 2008 to 1 November 2012.
- Date modified: