Telecom Order CRTC 2018-81
Ottawa, 1 March 2018
Public record: Tariff Notice 514
Bell Aliant Regional Communications, Limited Partnership – Revisions to Small Business Network Service
- The Commission received an application from Bell Aliant Regional Communications, Limited Partnership (now Bell Aliant, a division of Bell Canada [Bell Aliant]), dated 19 December 2017, in which the company proposed revisions to its Nova Scotia General Tariff item 975 – Small Business Network Service – Rates and Charges (item 975).
- Specifically, Bell Aliant proposed to amend item 975 in order to correct an administrative error in the monthly non-contract maximum rates for voice locals/lines.Footnote 1 In this regard, the company noted that the monthly rates set out in item 975 had increased over the course of several years, consistent with the classification of Small Business Network Service as an Uncapped Service.Footnote 2 It further noted that the monthly non-contract rates for voice locals/lines set out in item 975 were correct up until 1 January 2016, but that Tariff Notice 491, effective 1 January 2016, had not reflected an increase in the maximum rates for these rate elements.Footnote 3
- The company also requested ratification of the rates for the period during which it was inconsistent with its tariff, i.e., from 1 January 2016 to the proposed effective date set out in the current tariff notice. In support of this request, Bell Aliant indicated that the tariff page was not updated correctly due to an administrative error, that its customers were advised of the correct rates at the time of the 1 January 2016 increases, and that the increased rates were correctly implemented in the company’s billing system. As such, the company submitted that ratification of the rates set out in the proposed revision to item 975 is appropriate in these circumstances, and that the rate changes are compliant with the pricing rules applicable to services in the Uncapped Services basket.
- The Commission approved Bell Aliant’s Tariff Notice 514 on an interim basis in Telecom Order 2018-7, effective 22 January 2018.
- The Commission received no interventions with respect to the application.
Commission’s analysis and determinations
- The Commission considers that Bell Aliant’s request to amend certain rates set out in item 975 is reasonable.
- With respect to Bell Aliant’s rate ratification request, pursuant to subsection 25(4) of the Telecommunications Act, the Commission may ratify the charging of a rate by a Canadian carrier otherwise than in accordance with a tariff approved by the Commission if it is satisfied that the rate was charged because of an error or other circumstance that warrants the ratification.
- The Commission is satisfied that Bell Aliant charged the rates in question without an approved tariff due to an administrative error. Further, the company’s customers were advised as to the correct monthly non-contract rates for voice locals/lines at the time of the rate increases and have been paying the revised rates, and the rates for this item were correctly implemented in the company’s billing system. In the circumstances, the Commission finds it appropriate to ratify the charging of the rates for item 975 as requested by the company.
- Accordingly, the Commission ratifies the charging of the rates by Bell Aliant for item 975 monthly non-contract voice locals/lines for the period 1 January 2016 to 22 January 2018.
- The Commission approves on a final basis Bell Aliant’s application, effective 22 January 2018. Bell Aliant is to issue revised tariff pages within 10 days of the date of this order.Footnote 4
- Telecom Order CRTC 2018-7, 10 January 2018
- Price cap framework for large incumbent local exchange carriers, Telecom Decision CRTC 2007-27, 30 April 2007
- Date modified: