Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2018-71
Ottawa, 21 February 2018
2358563 Ontario Inc.
Application 2017-0795-2, received 30 August 2017
Hindi Children Channel – Revocation of licence
- 2358563 Ontario Inc. has requested the revocation of its broadcasting licence for the national, niche third-language ethnic specialty Category B service Hindi Children Channel, originally granted in Broadcasting Decision 2012-6, in order to continue its operation as an exempt undertaking, pursuant to Broadcasting Order 2015-88.
- The licensee failed to file its annual returns for the 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 broadcast years, as required by section 8(1) of the Specialty Services Regulations, 1990 (the Regulations). In addition, the licensee failed to submit program logs for the length of its licence term, as required by section 7(2) of the Regulations. In light of the above, the Commission directs 2358563 Ontario Inc. to submit annual reports for the 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 broadcast years by 9 April 2018.
- The Commission reminds 2358563 Ontario Inc. that, as an operator of an exempt service, it will be required to file a simplified annual return for its service by no later than 30 November for each broadcast year. While 2358563 Ontario Inc. will not be required to file program logs, it must nevertheless comply with certain programming requirements and be ready, pursuant to paragraph 18 in the appendix to Broadcasting Order 2015-88, to respond to any inquiry made by the Commission to matters relating to the operation of the exempt undertaking.
- Given the licensee’s request and pursuant to sections 9(1)(e) and 24(1) of the Broadcasting Act, the Commission revokes the broadcasting licence issued to 2358563 Ontario Inc. for the above-mentioned undertaking.
- The Commission reminds 2358563 Ontario Inc. that the undertaking must meet the criteria set out in the appendix to Broadcasting Order 2015-88 at all times to be in compliance with the exemption order. Failure to do so could result in the loss of the authority to operate the service in Canada.
- Exemption order respecting discretionary television programming undertakings serving fewer than 200,000 subscribers, Broadcasting Order CRTC 2015-88, 12 March 2015
- Hindi Children Channel - Specialty Category B service, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2012-6, 9 January 2012
- Date modified: