Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2018-46
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 24 November 2017
Ottawa, 5 February 2018
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
Corner Brook and St. Anthony, Newfoundland and Labrador
Public record for this application: 2017-1079-9
CBY Corner Brook – New transmitter in St. Anthony
- The Commission approves the application by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) to amend the broadcasting licence for the English-language radio programming undertaking CBY Corner Brook, Newfoundland and Labrador, to operate an FM transmitter in St. Anthony to rebroadcast the programming of its national, English-language network service Radio One. The new FM transmitter will replace the existing AM transmitter CBNA St. Anthony. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application.
- The new transmitter will operate at 100.3 MHz (channel 262A), with an effective radiated power of 4,500 watts (non-directional antenna with an effective height of the antenna above average terrain of 173 metres).
- The CBC stated that the tower for the current transmitter is unstable and must be removed. The licensee also stated that the new FM transmitter will reach a greater population than the existing AM signal.
- Pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
- The transmitter must be in operation by no later than 5 February 2020. To request an extension, the licensee must submit a written request to the Commission at least 60 days before that date, using the form available on the Commission’s website.
This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: