Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2018-45
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 22 November 2017
Ottawa, 5 February 2018
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
Thunder Bay and Ear Falls, Ontario
Public record for this application: 2017-1080-7
CBQT-FM Thunder Bay – New transmitter in Ear Falls
- The Commission approves the application by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation to amend the broadcasting licence for the radio programming undertaking CBQT-FM Thunder Bay, Ontario, in order to operate an FM rebroadcasting transmitter in Ear Falls to rebroadcast the programming of its national, English-language network service Radio One. The new low-power FM transmitter will replace the low-power AM transmitter CBOI Ear Falls. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application.
- The new transmitter will operate at 95.5 MHz (channel 238LP) with an effective radiated power of 50 watts (non-directional antenna with an effective height of the antenna above average terrain of 15.1 metres).
- The licensee stated that the transmitter will improve the quality of the Radio One signal in Ear Falls.
- Pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry (the Department) notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
- Given that the technical parameters approved in this decision are for a low-power FM transmitter, the licensee will have to select another frequency if the Department so requires.
- The transmitter must be in operation by no later than 5 February 2020. To request an extension, the licensee must submit a written request to the Commission at least 60 days before that date, using the form available on the Commission’s website.
This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: