Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2018-423
Ottawa, 13 November 2018
Kebaowek First Nation, on behalf of a not-for-profit corporation to be incorporated
Public record for this application: 2017-0958-6
Public hearing in the National Capital Region
31 May 2018
Indigenous FM radio station in Kipawa
- The Commission approves the application by Kebaowek First Nation, on behalf of a not-for-profit corporation to be incorporated, for a new broadcasting licence to operate an English-language Indigenous (Type B Native) FM radio programming undertaking in Kipawa, Quebec. The terms and conditions of licence are set out in the appendix to this decision. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application.
- The applicant is a not-for-profit organization to be incorporated. During the first 12 months of operations, the board of directors would consist of members of the band council.
- The Commission directs the applicant to file its certificate, articles of incorporation and bylaws within 30 days of their issuance. Further, the applicant must file a list of new directors following its first year of operations.
- The new station will operate at 104.1 MHz (channel 281A) with an average effective radiated power of 6,000 watts (non-directional antenna with an effective height of antenna above average terrain of 55.5 metres).
- During each broadcast week, the station will broadcast 126 hours of programming, including 111 hours of musical content (35% in the Algonquin language) and 15 hours of spoken word programming and news. Further, 15% of its overall programming will also be in the Algonquin language. Finally, the station’s local programming will feature local artists and community events, such as festivals and traditional ceremonies.
This decision is to be appended to the licence.
Appendix to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2018-423
Terms and conditions of licence for the English-language Indigenous (Type B Native) FM radio programming undertaking in Kipawa, Quebec
The licence will expire 31 August 2025.
The station will operate at 104.1 MHz (channel 281A) with an effective radiated power of 6,000 watts (non-directional antenna with an effective height of antenna above average terrain of 55.5 metres).
Pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, no licence may be issued until the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
Further, the Commission will only issue a licence for this undertaking once the applicant has:
- satisfied the Commission, with supporting documentation, that an eligible Canadian corporation has been incorporated in accordance with the application in all material respects; and
- informed the Commission in writing that its prepared to commence operations.
The undertaking must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 24 months from the date of this decision, unless a request for an extension of time is approved by the Commission before 13 November 2020. In order to ensure that such a request is processed in a timely manner, it should be submitted in writing at least 60 days before this date.
Conditions of licence
- In each broadcast week, the licensee shall devote at least 35% of its musical selections from content category 2 (Popular Music) to Canadian selections broadcast in their entirety.
For the purposes of this condition of licence, the terms “content category,” “musical selection,” “Canadian selection” and “broadcast week” shall have the same meanings as those set out in the Radio Regulations, 1986.
- The licensee shall adhere to the Canadian Association of Broadcasters’ Equitable Portrayal Code, as amended from time to time and approved by the Commission.
- The licensee shall adhere to the Broadcast Code for Advertising to Children, as amended from time to time and approved by the Commission.
- Date modified: