Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2018-394
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 10 July 2018
Ottawa, 9 October 2018
United Christian Broadcasters Media Canada
Thunder Bay and Nipigon, Ontario
Public record for this application: 2018-0508-7
CJOA-FM Thunder Bay – New transmitter in Nipigon
- The Commission approves the application by United Christian Broadcasters Media CanadaFootnote 1 (UCBC) to amend the broadcasting licence for the English-language commercial specialty (Christian music) radio programming undertaking CJOA-FM Thunder Bay, Ontario in order to operate a rebroadcasting transmitter in Nipigon, Ontario. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application.
- The new transmitter will operate at 92.5 MHz (channel 223LP) with an effective radiated power of 50 watts (non-directional antenna with an effective height of antenna above average terrain of -4.5 metres).
- The licensee stated that the new transmitter will provide residents of Nipigon with the music diversity they are seeking.
- Pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry (the Department) notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
- The Department’s BPR-3: Application Procedures and Rules for FM Broadcasting Undertakings specifies that a low-power FM rebroadcasting transmitter is considered a secondary assignment operating on an unprotected channel. Should an FM station or transmitter with protected status be granted a frequency that is incompatible with that used by the low-power transmitter considered in this decision, the licensee may need to cease the operation of that low power-transmitter or file an application to change its frequency and/or technical parameters.
- The transmitter must be in operation by no later than 9 October 2020. To request an extension, the licensee must submit a written request to the Commission at least 60 days before that date, using the form available on the Commission’s website.
This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: