Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2018-378
References: Part 1 applications posted on 26 April 2018
Ottawa, 27 September 2018
Cogeco Media Acquisitions Inc. and Cogeco Media Inc.
Montréal, Longueuil and Laval Quebec
Public record for these applications: 2018-0239-8, 2018-0236-4, 2018-0241-3 and 2018-0238-0
CKOI-FM Montréal, CHMP-FM Longueuil, CKBE-FM Montréal and CFGL-FM Laval – Technical changes
- The Commission approves the applications by Cogeco Media Acquisitions Inc. (Cogeco Acquisitions) to change the authorized contours of the French-language radio programming undertakings CKOI-FM Montréal and CHMP-FM Longueuil and the English-language radio programming undertaking CKBE-FM Montréal, Quebec. The Commission also approves the application by Cogeco Media Inc. (Cogeco Media) to change the authorized contours of the French-language radio programming undertaking CFGL-FM Laval.
- The licensees stated that they wish to combine CKOI-FM, CKBE-FM, CKMP-FM and CFGL-FM’s services on a single, more efficient antenna owned by Cogeco on Mount Royal. In order to do so, the licensees requested the required preliminary approval to proceed with the changes described below.
- Cogeco Acquisitions wishes to change the authorized contours of CKOI-FM by increasing the effective radiated power (ERP) from 147,000 to 148,000 watts and decreasing the effective height of the antenna above average terrain (EHAAT) from 277.6 to 276.7 metres.
- The licensee also wishes to change the authorized contours of CHMP-FM by decreasing the EHAAT from 298.9 to 276.7 metres and relocating the station’s antenna.
- Further, the licensee wishes to change the authorized contours of CKBE-FM by decreasing the EHAAT from 298.9 to 276.7 metres and relocating the station’s antenna.
- Finally, Cogeco Media wishes to change the authorized contours of CFGL-FM by increasing the ERP from 41,000 to 48,000 watts, decreasing the EHAAT from 297 to 276.6 metres and relocating the station’s antenna.
- The Commission received an intervention regarding the application for CKBE-FM from RNC MEDIA Inc., licensee of the commercial radio station CHLX-FM Montréal. It expressed concern over the potential interference that could result from the technical changes requested by Cogeco Acquisitions. In reply, Cogeco Acquisitions stated that it was prepared to resolve new interference issues where necessary.
- The Commission also received an intervention regarding the application for CFGL-FM from Group CHCR Inc., licensee of the commercial ethnic radio station CKDG-FM Montréal. It indicated that the technical changes could have a negative impact on the quality of CKDG-FM’s signal and requested that Cogeco Media commit to resolving any additional interference issues that may arise. In reply, Cogeco Media committed to taking reasonable measures to attempt to resolve potential interference problems should the proposed changes be the direct cause of a loss in CKDG-FM’s signal quality.
- In light of the above and given that the proposed changes are minor, the Commission has no concerns with respect to these applications.
- The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding the other applications.
- Pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
- The licensees must implement the technical changes by no later than 27 September 2020. To request an extension, the licensees must submit a written request to the Commission at least 60 days before that date, using the form available on the Commission’s website.
This decision is to be appended to each licence.
- Date modified: