Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2018-375
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 29 June 2018
Ottawa, 26 September 2018
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
Ottawa and Belleville, Ontario
Public record for this application: 2018-0481-5
CBO-FM Ottawa – New transmitter in Belleville
- The Commission approves the application by Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) to amend the broadcasting licence for the English-language radio programming undertaking CBO-FM Ottawa, Ontario, in order to operate a transmitter at Belleville to rebroadcast the programming of its national, English-language network service Radio One.
- The new transmitter will operate at 104.7 MHz (channel 284B1) with an average effective radiated power (ERP) of 3,020 watts (maximum ERP of 10,000 watts with an effective height of antenna above average terrain of 117.3 metres).
- The CBC stated that the new antenna will be co-located with CJBC-1-FM (ICI Radio‑ Canada Première) to optimize operating costs. There is currently no Radio One service in Belleville. With the addition of this new service, Belleville residents will be able to receive programming from Ottawa.
- The Commission received a comment stating that the transmitter may receive interference, to which the CBC replied that the intervener did not provide any evidence supporting his claim and that it had filed an extensive engineering analysis demonstrating that the transmitter would not receive interference. The Commission concurs that there would be no interference within the transmitter’s principal market.
- Pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
- The transmitter must be in operation by 26 September 2020. To request an extension, the licensee must submit a written request to the Commission at least 60 days before that date, using the form available on the Commission’s website.
This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: