Broadcasting Order CRTC 2018-320
Ottawa, 27 August 2018
Distribution of AMI-audio by licensed broadcasting distribution undertakings
Pursuant to section 9(1)(h) of the Broadcasting Act, the Commission orders licensees of broadcasting distribution undertakings to distribute Accessible Media Inc.’s programming undertaking known as AMI-audio as part of the basic service, effective 1 September 2018, on the following terms and conditions:
- This order applies to all licensed distribution undertakings, including terrestrial and DTH distribution undertakings. Licensees of such undertakings are collectively referred to in this order as distribution licensees.
- Distribution licensees shall distribute the programming service under the following terms:
- Any terrestrial distribution undertaking in an anglophone market that distributes services on an analog basis shall distribute the programming service on CBC News Network’s secondary audio program channel;
- Any terrestrial distribution undertaking in an anglophone market that distributes services on a digital basis shall distribute the programming service on an audio channel, ideally one adjacent to a Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) radio channel;
- If a terrestrial distribution undertaking distributes services on both an analog and a digital basis, the licensee shall distribute the programming service in accordance with subparagraph (i); and
- DTH distribution undertaking licensees shall distribute the programming service on an audio channel, ideally adjacent to a CBC radio channel where possible, to all persons subscribing to a basic service package of the undertaking that has a preponderance of English-language services.
- Each licensee of a terrestrial distribution undertaking distributing the programming service in an anglophone market shall remit to the licensee of the programming service a wholesale rate of $0.04 per subscriber per month.
- Each licensee of a DTH distribution undertaking shall remit to the licensee of the programming service a monthly fee of $0.04 for each subscriber who subscribes to a basic service package which has a preponderance of English-language services.
- This order shall remain in effect until 31 August 2023.
For the purposes of this order, “anglophone market,” “basic service,” “DTH distribution undertaking,” “licensed,” “programming service” and “terrestrial distribution undertaking” shall have same the meanings as those set out in the Broadcasting Distribution Regulations, as amended from time to time.
- Date modified: