Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2018-210
Reference: Part 1 licence renewal applications posted on 23 February 2018
Ottawa, 19 June 2018
Jim Pattison Broadcast Group Ltd. and Jim Pattison Industries Ltd., carrying on business as Jim Pattison Broadcast Group Limited Partnership
Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta
Public record for these applications: 2017-0633-4 and 2017-0634-2
Various commercial radio stations – Licence renewals
- The Commission renews the broadcasting licences for the English-language commercial FM radio programming undertakings listed below from 1 September 2018 to 31 August 2025. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding these applications.
- The terms and conditions of licence for these stations are set out in the appendix to this decision.
- Pursuant to section 22 of the Broadcasting Act, the broadcasting licences renewed in this decision will cease to have any force or effect if the broadcasting certificates issued by the Department of Industry lapse.
- The Commission reminds the licensee of its responsibility to fulfill the remaining tangible benefit commitments resulting from the application approved in Various radio stations in Alberta and Saskatchewan – Acquisition of assets, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2014-654, 16 December 2014.
- The Commission expects the licensee to reflect the cultural diversity of Canada in its programming and employment practices.
- Because the licensee is subject to the Employment Equity Act and files reports concerning employment equity with the Department of Employment and Social Development, its employment equity practices are not examined by the Commission.
Appendix to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2018-210
Terms and conditions of licences for the English-language commercial radio programming undertakings for which the broadcasting licences have been renewed in this decision
The licences will expire 31 August 2025.
Conditions of licence applicable to all stations
- The licensee shall adhere to the conditions of licence set out in Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009, as well as to the conditions set out into the broadcasting licence for the undertaking.
- As an exception to the percentage of Canadian musical selections set out in sections 2.2(8) and 2.2(9) of the Radio Regulations, 1986 (the Regulations), the licensee shall:
- devote, in each broadcast week, at least 40% of its musical selections from content category 2 (Popular Music) to Canadian selections broadcast in their entirety; and
- devote, between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m., in any period beginning on Monday of a week and ending on Friday of the same week, at least 40% of its musical selections from content category 2 to Canadian selections broadcast in their entirety.
For the purposes of this condition, the terms “broadcast week,” “Canadian selection,” “content category” and “musical selection” shall have the same meanings as set out in the Regulations.
Condition of licence applicable to CKWD-FM Calgary, Alberta
- To fulfill its outstanding commitments to Canadian content development (CCD) set out in Appendix 3 of Licensing of new radio stations to serve Calgary, Alberta, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2012-308, 24 May 2012, the licensee shall make annual over-and-above contributions of $1,250,000 in the 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 broadcast years and $729,133 in the 2020-2021 broadcast year.
Of this amount, the licensee shall allocate at least 20% per broadcast year to FACTOR. The remaining amounts of this additional CCD contribution shall be allocated to parties and initiatives fulfilling the definition of eligible initiatives set out in paragraph 108 of Commercial Radio Policy 2006, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2006-158, 15 December 2006.
- Date modified: